Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing numbers

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    There is something going through my mind recently.
    is it possible to reduce any number to the following form:
    x^n +y , and -x+1<y<x-1?? x isn't necessarily prime
    or better something like this x^n +y where y=+1 or -1
    I tried many numbers, so far I can't see a contradiction to these 2 rules I stated, or maybe there is one, but can't really see it.
    I want to see if it's possible to reduce a very very big number, to a simpler form, like the 2 i stated above.
    example:(I don't know if this is correct)
    1...million zero...1
    it should be reduced to this 1000^1000 +1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One assume you do not consider n=1 acceptable.

If not then you obviously can't have the extra condition that y=+/-1, as not every number is one more or less than a perfect power.
  4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    what about the first way I thought of ?
    x^n +y , and -x+1<y<x-1 not possible too ?
  5. Mar 25, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Again, you're assuming n>1, obviosuly, but not bothering to state it. And again it is trivial to show it is possible if you relax it to less than or equal in the condition with y. And always with n=2. What are the two extremes? x(x-1) and x(x+1).

I leave it to you to finish that proof, and to think what it implies for your other question with a strict inequality.
  6. Mar 25, 2007 #5
    Can you explain what you are saying in some other way, I maybe be good in English, but along with mathematics they don't really mix together for me..
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?