Can the pressure difference be reduced by drilling holes in a moving plate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of adding holes to a moving plate in a closed space in order to reduce the pressure difference between the two sides. It is mentioned that the dimensions and number of holes may play a role in the calculations, but it is ultimately determined that the total area of the holes is the most important factor. The potential influence of air viscosity and turbulence is also brought up, but it is concluded that these factors may only be relevant in more precise measurements. The conversation ends with one person expressing gratitude for the help provided.
appelboom
hi

I have a plate moving back and forth in a closed space. The shape of the plate is a ring, it is moving around an axis up and down.

The pressure difference between the two sides is too big when the plate is moving, and hence the force on the plate. Now I want to make some holes in the plate in order to reduce the pressure difference between the 2 sides.
Do i only have to calculate with the reduced surface (plate minus holes) or do i have to take other things into the calculations. I think the dimensions of the holes are important too, one big hole will be different as several small holes. Any suggestion how to simulate this before drilling holes?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
appelboom said:
Do i only have to calculate with the reduced surface (plate minus holes) or do i have to take other things into the calculations.
Viscosity?
appelboom said:
I think the dimensions of the holes are important too, one big hole will be different as several small holes.
If viscosity is low it shouldn't be an issue. Note that it is the area of the holes that you are interested in, and area is proportional to the square of the hole diameter (but you know this).

That being said, several small holes will distribute the forces better than one (or few) large holes.

DaveC426913 said:
Viscosity?
If viscosity is low it shouldn't be an issue. Note that it is the area of the holes that you are interested in, and area is proportional to the square of the hole diameter (but you know this).

That being said, several small holes will distribute the forces better than one (or few) large holes.

don't think that viscosity will play a roll, it is air.
But i will look at it closer

appelboom said:
don't think that viscosity will play a roll, it is air.
But i will look at it closer
Air??

Then don't worry abvout the shape, size or number of holes. The only thing that will matter is the total area of the holes (and ensuring that they're symmetrically placed).

DaveC426913 said:
Air??

Then don't worry abvout the shape, size or number of holes. The only thing that will matter is the total area of the holes (and ensuring that they're symmetrically placed).

I have done some calculations and the air flow would be turbulent through the hole(s)

The situation is:
plate moving at 40 ms over a distance of 9 mm.The difference in volume by the movement is 42,5 cm³. Without holes the difference in pressure would be appr 3 bar.
I'm trying to look at the pressure drop if i use holes with a total surface of 500 mm²
(the total surface of the plate is appr 4500 mm²)

Is the turbulance playing a role?

Can you clarify post #5...

First you say there is turbulance, then ask if it has a role?? What do you conclude from your own efforts??

Turbulance may be playing a role in actual measurements; we have no idea what you included in your calculations. All this is dependent on the precision you seek.

Naty1 said:
Can you clarify post #5...

First you say there is turbulance, then ask if it has a role?? What do you conclude from your own efforts??

Turbulance may be playing a role in actual measurements; we have no idea what you included in your calculations. All this is dependent on the precision you seek.

I just calculated the pressure difference without the holes. It is around 3 bars, easy to calculate.
I am just wondering how to calculate the pressure difference between the 2 sides when i put holes into the plate. I consider 1 big hole to make the calculations easier.
When i calculate the reynolds number for the air moving through the hole i see it is a turbulent flow through the hole when the plate is moving.

by the way; thanks for the help!

1. What is pressure difference?

Pressure difference refers to the difference in force per unit area between two points in a fluid or gas. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. Why is it important to reduce pressure difference?

Reducing pressure difference can help to maintain stability and balance within a system. High pressure differences can cause stress and strain on materials, leading to potential failure or malfunction.

3. What are some common methods for reducing pressure difference?

Some common methods for reducing pressure difference include using pressure regulators, control valves, or flow restrictors. These devices can help to regulate the flow and pressure within a system.

4. How does reducing pressure difference impact fluid flow?

Reducing pressure difference can help to control and regulate the flow of fluids. By reducing the pressure difference, the flow rate of a fluid can be adjusted to meet specific requirements.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with reducing pressure difference?

In some cases, reducing pressure difference too quickly or too much can lead to cavitation, which can cause damage to pumps or other equipment. It is important to carefully monitor and control pressure difference to avoid potential risks.