Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing Radicals and Squares

1. Apr 26, 2004 #1
    First I'd like to say that I'm getting back into college after several years out in the job market. Unfortunately, I need to complete several more upper division math courses before I can complete my CS degree. Before I go back and start taking my classes again, I've been trying to self-study my way back through Calc I, and having difficulty just getting beyond the first section. Maybe I just need to refamiliarize myself with the basics.

What has me stuck is determining the distance between two points. Pretty simple. I understand the theory, and can work the problems well, until I got to this one, and I've been stuck.

Determine the distance between two points:
    (1,√3), (-1,1)

My book shows the answer as:

(I'm at work, I'll need to verify this, but 99% sure this is what the book states. I do know the question is 100% correct.)

When I apply the distance formula:

I get:

When I reduce this I get:

Am I not reducing this far enough? If so, how do you reduce down to √(8-2√3)?

Thanks for your help and patience!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2

Just calculate the square:

= √(4+(1-√3)(1-√3))

= √(4+1-2√3+3)

= √(8-2√3)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  4. Apr 26, 2004 #3
    Thank you! Makes sense to me now. I know it seems basic, but I suppose this is where I have the most difficult time.. knowing where to use what to get the most simple answer.

Thanks again for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?