How Does the Reduction Formula Simplify Integration of Trigonometric Functions?

In summary: Then du = \sec^2 x dx, so we get:I_n = \int_0^1 u^{n-2} du - I_{n-2}I_n = \frac{u^{n-1}}{n-1} \Bigg|_0^1 - I_{n-2}I_n = \frac{1}{n-1} - I_{n-2}And that's the result we wanted to prove.
John O' Meara
Show that [tex] tan^n(x) = tan^{n-2}(x)(sec^2(x)-1) \\[/tex]. Hence if [tex] I_n = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}tan^n(x)dx \\[/tex]. Prove that [tex] I_n = \frac{1}{n-1} - I_{n-2} \\[/tex], and evaluate [tex]I_5{/tex]
My effort:
[tex] I_n = \int_0^{n-2}tan^{n-2}x(sec^2x-1)dx \\[/tex] [tex] du = (n-2)tan^{n-3}x sec^2x dx \\[/tex], and [tex] v = \int(sec^2x - 1) dx = tanx -x \\ [/tex]. Therefore:
[tex] I_n = (tan^{n-2}x(tanx - x)) - (n-2)\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}tan^{n-3}xsec^2x(tanx - x)dx \\ [/tex].
Which implies, [tex] I_n = (tan^{n-2}x(tanx - x) - (n-2)\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}tan^{n-2}sec^2x dx - (n-2)\int tan^{n-3}x(sec^2x -1) dx \\[/tex]. Therefore that implies :[tex]
I_n = (tan^{n-1}x - tan^{n-2}(x) x) -(n-1)\int tan^{n-2}x(sec^2x -1)dx + (n-1)\int xtan^{n-3}x(sec^2x-1)dx \\[/tex]

The end result I get is : [tex] I_n = 1 - \frac{\pi}{4} - (n-1)I_n + (n-1)\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}tan^{n-2}(x) x dx [/tex]. I must have gone wrong some where to get this result. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first identity is true because [tex]\sec^2 x = 1 + \tan^2 x[/tex]

For the integral, use that identity:

[tex]I_n = \int_0^{\frac \pi 4} tan^{n-2}x(sec^2x-1) dx[/tex]
[tex]I_n = \int_0^{\frac \pi 4} tan^{n-2}xsec^2xdx - I_{n-2}[/tex]

Evaluating the integral is straightforward - let u = tan x.

1. What is a reduction formula problem?

A reduction formula problem is a type of mathematical problem in which a complex expression or equation is simplified into a series of smaller, more manageable expressions. These smaller expressions are then used to find a solution to the original problem.

2. How do you solve a reduction formula problem?

To solve a reduction formula problem, you first need to identify the pattern or relationship between the smaller expressions. Then, you can use this pattern to find a general formula for the problem. Finally, you can use this formula to solve for the solution to the original problem.

3. What types of problems can be solved using reduction formula?

Reduction formula problems can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems, including integrals, series, and differential equations. They are commonly used in calculus, but can also be applied to other areas of mathematics.

4. Are there any tips for solving reduction formula problems?

Some tips for solving reduction formula problems include: identifying the pattern or relationship between the smaller expressions, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expressions, and checking your work to ensure that the solution is correct.

5. Why are reduction formula problems important?

Reduction formula problems are important because they allow us to solve complex mathematical problems in a systematic and efficient manner. They also help us to understand the underlying patterns and relationships in mathematical expressions, which can be applied to other problems in the future.