Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduction of gravity

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    Okay, if...

The Earth's gravity was 1/6 of what it normally is, then would I be correct to assume that objects being thrown up with the same velocity will stay in the air 6 times as long? If not, what's the relationship? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you heard of F = ma? Have you done some calculus? If the answer to both question is yes, then can you see how you might be able to derive some equations which you could use to work out the answer to your question yourself?
  4. Oct 7, 2004 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Methinks the answer is "no"

Zetig, is this a homework question? OR are you just curious?

If just curious, then yes, the time is increase six-fold. IF homework, you would need to prove it. It can be done with algebra, and this kind of problem is common in introductory physics.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  5. Oct 7, 2004 #4
    Well, I answered it already with yes :P
    Thanks for the help. And yes, I did prove it, I'm pretty sure.
  6. Oct 8, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's good. FYI, the simplist trick is to use the kinematics equation d=vt + 1/2at^2 (where v = initial velocity). When the ball comes back to your hand, d = zero. The formula simplifies to t=(2v)/a . So t is inversely proportional to a.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?