• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Reduction of mass per nucleon that accompanies the fusion of the following pairs of

1. Rank from greatest to least the reduction of mass per nucleon that accompanies the fusion of the following pairs of nuclei:
a. Two hydrogen nuclei
b. Two carbon nuclei
c. Two aluminum nuclei
d. Two iron nuclei

2. n/a

3. I know fusion is when two elements are combined and of course the combined elements are overall less mass than the two individual nucleons are elements since part is converted into energy; I think it would be a, b, c, d?? Since it is reduction of mass per nucleon...? I am a little confused..

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

1. Rank from greatest to least the reduction of mass per nucleon that accompanies the fusion of the following pairs of nuclei:
a. Two hydrogen nuclei
b. Two carbon nuclei
c. Two aluminum nuclei
d. Two iron nuclei

2. n/a

3. I know fusion is when two elements are combined
Yes, that's right.
and of course the combined elements are overall less mass than the two individual nucleons are elements since part is converted into energy;
This isn't always the case. You need to figure out when it's true and when it isn't.
I think it would be a, b, c, d?? Since it is reduction of mass per nucleon...? I am a little confused..[/b]
It's not clear how you went from "reduction of mass per nucleon" to that particular order. You need to explain your reasoning in more detail.

Why don't you start by determining what product is formed by each fusion reaction? Also, since you want to know the mass per nucleon, look up the relevant masses too.