Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduction of Order

1. Jul 25, 2008 #1
    I'm making an assumption while trying to solve DEs by reduction of order. I've got a short form equation that I can use to reduce it if and only if I can place the DE into standard form. The standard form with generic notation would be y"+ P(x)y' +G(x)y = 0 where P(x) and G(x) are continuous and on the interval I. I am not sure if I am able to say the following, therefore my question would be is this valid:

Given the DE y" - xy' = 0; y=e^x; I= (0,infinity] is it valid to state that the DE is under standard form where G(x) = 0?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course it is! I am wondering what you mean by "y= e^x" immediately after the differential equation. That is clearly not a solution to the equation.
  4. Jul 26, 2008 #3
    ah ok. thats what I thought, I just wasn't sure. As for it not being a solution, I made it up and never bothered checking it. It's not a big a deal, most of the work I have done is confirmed with this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?