How Do You Convert Forces into a Wrench in Vector Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation was about reduction to a wrench, where the forces were moved to point O and rewritten in Cartesian-vector form. The goal was to find the sum of the forces and the moments about each axis, and then move the forces to create a wrench. The moments were correctly calculated and the next step was to find M-perp and M-parallel. There was some confusion but the solution was eventually found.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Reduction to a Wrench

Picture2-3.png

So far I have moved the forces to point O where [itex]\sum F=F_r=-10.0\hat{j}[/itex] I have also re-written each force in Cartesian-vector form where

[itex]F_1=10[\frac{6i-6j}{\sqrt{72}}=7.071i-7.071j[/itex] [itex]F_2=-10j[/itex] and [itex]F_3=-F_1=-7.071i+7.071j[/itex].

I am told to decompose each force into its components and then use scalar method to find the sum (which I did above) and to find the sum of the moments about each of the x,y,z axes. Then move the forces to get a wrench.

I have found each of the moments as follows:
[tex]\sum M_x=2(10)-2(7.071)=5.858[/tex]
[tex]\sum M_y=-6(7.071)=-42.426[/tex]
[tex]\sum M_z=6(7.071)-6(7.071)= 0[/tex]

Now I am a little confused. I am just not sure where to go from here. I know I need to find M-perp and M-parellel which looks to be what I have just found.

Are my moments correct? I think they are. And where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I GOT IT! Amidst all my typing I noticed that my moment about y-axis is incorrect.

M_x=5.86=M_perp--->distance from z =5.86/10=.586 ft.
M_y=-14.1=M_parellel

YAY!

As a scientist, my response would be to first clarify the problem and its context. What is the purpose of finding the sum of moments and decomposing the forces? Is this a real-world problem or a theoretical exercise? Once the purpose is clear, I would suggest considering alternative methods or approaches to solving the problem. For example, instead of using the scalar method, perhaps vector analysis or the use of a free body diagram could provide a more efficient solution. Additionally, I would recommend double-checking the calculations and ensuring that all units are accounted for. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or professor for further guidance and clarification.

1. What is "Reduction to a Wrench"?

"Reduction to a Wrench" is a scientific concept that refers to the process of simplifying a complex system or problem into a more manageable form, similar to the way a wrench can be used to turn a bolt.

2. Why is "Reduction to a Wrench" important in science?

"Reduction to a Wrench" is important in science because it allows researchers to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. This makes it easier to understand and study these problems, leading to potential solutions and advancements in science.

3. How is "Reduction to a Wrench" used in different scientific fields?

"Reduction to a Wrench" is used in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. In physics, it is often used to simplify complex equations and models. In chemistry, it can be used to break down complex chemical reactions. In biology, it can help in understanding the functions of different organisms. In engineering, it is used to design and build complex structures and systems.

4. What are the benefits of using "Reduction to a Wrench" in science?

Using "Reduction to a Wrench" in science has several benefits. It allows scientists to focus on specific aspects of a problem or system, making it easier to understand and manipulate. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different parts of a system. Additionally, it can lead to more efficient and effective problem-solving and advancements in scientific research.

5. Are there any limitations to "Reduction to a Wrench" in science?

While "Reduction to a Wrench" can be a useful tool in science, it also has its limitations. It may oversimplify complex systems, leading to inaccuracies or incomplete understanding. It also requires careful consideration and expertise to determine which parts of a system are essential and which can be reduced or ignored. Additionally, some problems may not be able to be simplified using this approach, and alternative methods may be needed.