1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduction to a Wrench

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Reduction to a Wrench

[​IMG]

So far I have moved the forces to point O where [itex]\sum F=F_r=-10.0\hat{j}[/itex] I have also re-written each force in Cartesian-vector form where

[itex]F_1=10[\frac{6i-6j}{\sqrt{72}}=7.071i-7.071j[/itex] [itex]F_2=-10j[/itex] and [itex]F_3=-F_1=-7.071i+7.071j[/itex].

I am told to decompose each force into its components and then use scalar method to find the sum (which I did above) and to find the sum of the moments about each of the x,y,z axes. Then move the forces to get a wrench.

I have found each of the moments as follows:
    [tex]\sum M_x=2(10)-2(7.071)=5.858[/tex]
    [tex]\sum M_y=-6(7.071)=-42.426[/tex]
    [tex]\sum M_z=6(7.071)-6(7.071)= 0[/tex]

Now I am a little confused. I am just not sure where to go from here. I know I need to find M-perp and M-parellel which looks to be what I have just found.

Are my moments correct? I think they are. And where do I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2008 #2
    I GOT IT! Amidst all my typing I noticed that my moment about y axis is incorrect.

M_x=5.86=M_perp--->distance from z =5.86/10=.586 ft.
    M_y=-14.1=M_parellel

YAY!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?