1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reexpressing equations

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    I am solving equations for a problem where we must reexpress the equation. I have been given the reexpressed equations, but simply cannot see the steps to quickly change the expression.

The expressions are below

1. Q = 12-2P.. it is reexpressed as P = 6-Q/2
    2. Q = 18-P... it is reexpressed as P = 18-Q
    3. Q = 8-p/3...it is reexpressed as P = 24-3Q

Can anyone tell me the steps to get from the initial equations to the new expressions?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

We normally say "rewrite". I don't think I've ever seen anyone use "reexpress".

When you solve an equation for one variable, you get a new equation.
    These are very simple linear equations. Your book must have some examples of solving a linear equation for one variable in terms of another.

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

After thinking about this "reexpressing" equations terminology, is this terminology used by your instructor or in the textbook? I don't see the point of it in light of the fact that there already is some perfectly good terminology -- equivalent equations.

In your first example, Q = 12 - 2P and P = 6 - Q/2 are equivalent equations. Any pair of numbers (P, Q) that satisfies the first equation also satisfies the second equation.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    This was from a textbook.

We needed to reexpress a demand curve for individuals to attempt to set a new tax rate for each individual.

I was just more or less trying to find another example of how those equations were rewritten(reexpressed) so I could understand all the steps in the text examples

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok well for the first we have

Q = 12 - 2P

and we want to make the variable P the subject (which means have it in the form P = ...)

So the first thing we do is take away 12 from both sides,

Q - 12 = 12 - 2P - 12

and notice that on the right side the 12's cancel, so we can simplify that into

Q - 12 = -2P

Now, we have -2 times P, and we want just P, so we can divide by -2 to give

(Q-12)/(-2) = -2P/(-2)

And the right side is now obviously just P. But what we want to do is simplify the left side of the equation.

Well, to do this we have a basic rule of fractions which is

[tex]\frac{a+b}{c}=\frac{a}{c}+\frac{b}{c}[/tex]

so what we end up with is

Q/(-2) -12/(-2) = P

And since -12/-2 = 12/2 = 6 and Q/-2 = -Q/2 we have

6 - Q/2 = P

We can also switch each side of the equality without a problem, so our final answer is

P = 6 - Q/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook