So the question could be: How do I reexpress equations with P as the subject?

• Thread starter surferbarney0729
  • Start date
In summary, the equations Q = 12-2P, Q = 18-P, and Q = 8-p/3 are all reexpressed in terms of P as P = 6-Q/2, P = 18-Q, and P = 24-3Q respectively. To get from the initial equations to the new reexpressed equations, we must follow the steps of simplifying and rearranging the equations to solve for the variable P. This terminology may vary, but the concept of equivalent equations remains the same.
surferbarney0729
I am solving equations for a problem where we must reexpress the equation. I have been given the reexpressed equations, but simply cannot see the steps to quickly change the expression.

The expressions are below

1. Q = 12-2P.. it is reexpressed as P = 6-Q/2
2. Q = 18-P... it is reexpressed as P = 18-Q
3. Q = 8-p/3...it is reexpressed as P = 24-3Q

Can anyone tell me the steps to get from the initial equations to the new expressions?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
swoodward said:
I am solving equations for a problem where we must reexpress the equation.
We normally say "rewrite". I don't think I've ever seen anyone use "reexpress".

When you solve an equation for one variable, you get a new equation.
swoodward said:
I have been given the reexpressed equations, but simply cannot see the steps to quickly change the [STRIKE]expression[/STRIKE] equation.

The [STRIKE]expressions[/STRIKE] equations are below

1. Q = 12-2P.. it is reexpressed as P = 6-Q/2
2. Q = 18-P... it is reexpressed as P = 18-Q
3. Q = 8-p/3...it is reexpressed as P = 24-3Q

Can anyone tell me the steps to get from the initial equations to the new [STRIKE]expressions[/STRIKE] equations?

These are very simple linear equations. Your book must have some examples of solving a linear equation for one variable in terms of another.

After thinking about this "reexpressing" equations terminology, is this terminology used by your instructor or in the textbook? I don't see the point of it in light of the fact that there already is some perfectly good terminology -- equivalent equations.

In your first example, Q = 12 - 2P and P = 6 - Q/2 are equivalent equations. Any pair of numbers (P, Q) that satisfies the first equation also satisfies the second equation.

This was from a textbook.

We needed to reexpress a demand curve for individuals to attempt to set a new tax rate for each individual.

I was just more or less trying to find another example of how those equations were rewritten(reexpressed) so I could understand all the steps in the text examples

Ok well for the first we have

Q = 12 - 2P

and we want to make the variable P the subject (which means have it in the form P = ...)

So the first thing we do is take away 12 from both sides,

Q - 12 = 12 - 2P - 12

and notice that on the right side the 12's cancel, so we can simplify that into

Q - 12 = -2P

Now, we have -2 times P, and we want just P, so we can divide by -2 to give

(Q-12)/(-2) = -2P/(-2)

And the right side is now obviously just P. But what we want to do is simplify the left side of the equation.

Well, to do this we have a basic rule of fractions which is

[tex]\frac{a+b}{c}=\frac{a}{c}+\frac{b}{c}[/tex]

so what we end up with is

Q/(-2) -12/(-2) = P

And since -12/-2 = 12/2 = 6 and Q/-2 = -Q/2 we have

6 - Q/2 = P

We can also switch each side of the equality without a problem, so our final answer is

P = 6 - Q/2

1. What is the purpose of reexpressing equations?

Reexpressing equations is the process of rewriting mathematical equations in a different form. This can be done for a variety of reasons, including simplifying the equation, making it easier to solve, and gaining a deeper understanding of the relationship between variables.

2. How do I reexpress an equation?

To reexpress an equation, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, factoring, or rearranging terms. The specific method used will depend on the equation and the desired form it needs to be expressed in.

3. Can reexpressing an equation change its meaning?

Yes, reexpressing an equation can change its meaning. This is because different forms of an equation can represent the same relationship between variables, but in a different way. It is important to understand the properties and limitations of each form of an equation to ensure the meaning remains the same.

4. Is reexpressing equations only used in math?

No, reexpressing equations can also be used in other scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is a useful tool for analyzing relationships between variables and making complex equations more manageable.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines to follow when reexpressing equations?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines to follow when reexpressing equations. These include maintaining equality, using valid mathematical operations, and understanding the properties of different forms of an equation. It is also important to check for errors and ensure the meaning of the equation remains the same after reexpressing it.