Can a 1.7m tall person see their full reflection in a 0.85m tall mirror?

• Thread starter jimbo43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of reflection and a ray diagram to determine if a 0.85m tall flat mirror attached to a wall will show a person who is 1.7m tall their complete reflection. The person's height and the distance from the person to the mirror are important factors in determining the angle at which the reflected ray will bounce off the mirror. It is concluded that no matter how close the person stands to the mirror, they will only see the top half of themselves due to the mirror's placement halfway up their height.
jimbo43
A flat mirror that is 0.85m tall is attached to a wall so that its upper edge is 1.7m above the floor. Use the law of reflection and a ray diagram to determine if this mirror will show a person who is 1.7m tall his or her complete reflection.

Please help me as I do not know what to do. So tell me if this is correct...

Height = 0.85m
P = 1.7m
Q = ?

What does the person's height 1.7m above go into? Please help me as I am seriously confused about this problem and have been stuck on it for hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a line from the top of the person to the bottom of the mirror.
Work out what angle this bounces of the mirror.
Where on the person does the reflected ray reach?

Can you further clarify this? How would I find the angle that this bounces off the mirror. And where will it reflected ray reach on the person.

I think the question is asking can the person see their feet in the mirror?
So you are interested in where the lowest possible ray reflected off the mirror goes.
The law for the angle a ray reflects from a plkane mirror is rather simple.
You know the path from the person to the mirror (you probably have to assume their eyes are at the top of their head!)

You would normally need the distance from the person to the wall but there is something special about 1.7m and 0.85m !

So is the answer that if the person stands far enough from the mirror he might be able to see his entire self?

Yes (if the mirror was placed half way up )
But draw the diagram for the heights given in the question and what do you find, no matter how close you draw the person to the mirror?

The person will see more top half of himself?

Draw a person, now draw a wall some distance away.
Draw a ray from the top of the person to a point on the wall at half their height.
Now draw the ray reflecting from the wall and going back to them - you know about mirrors, what angle will the ray bounce off the mirror?
Now try and draw a ray that hits the wall a little bit higher than the middle - where will that reflect? What can you say about rays that hit the wall above half way?

Notice that the mirror in the questions extends down to halfway up the person.

Thanks for helping me on this. You helped me greatly.

1. How do reflection mirrors work?

Reflection mirrors work by reflecting light rays at the same angle that they hit the mirror's surface. This is known as the law of reflection. The smooth, polished surface of the mirror allows for the light to bounce off in a predictable manner, creating a clear image.

2. What are the different types of reflection mirrors?

There are two main types of reflection mirrors: plane mirrors and curved mirrors. Plane mirrors have a flat surface and produce images that are the same size and upright. Curved mirrors, on the other hand, can be concave or convex and produce images that are either larger or smaller than the object.

3. How are reflection mirrors made?

Reflection mirrors are made by coating a smooth and flat surface with a thin layer of reflective material, such as aluminum or silver. This process is known as silvering and creates the highly reflective surface of mirrors. The coated surface is then usually attached to a glass or plastic backing for stability.

4. What are some applications of reflection mirrors?

Reflection mirrors have numerous applications in everyday life, such as in household mirrors, car mirrors, and decorative mirrors. They are also used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to reflect and focus light. In addition, they play a crucial role in lasers and optical systems in various industries.

5. Are there any limitations to reflection mirrors?

While reflection mirrors are incredibly useful, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they only reflect visible light, so they cannot reflect other types of electromagnetic radiation. Additionally, they can only reflect a certain amount of light, and if the reflective coating is damaged, the mirror may lose its reflective properties.