Referee for a journal

• Thread starter eri
  • Start date

eri

Last year I was asked to serve as a referee for a journal for the first time. When I was asked, my adviser (I'm a 4-ish year grad student) said something to the effect of 'you can put that on your CV'. Now I'm updating my CV, and I'm not sure if he was serious or not. I know we're supposed to be honored to ask to referee a paper - but is that something that could, or should, be mentioned when applying for a job or fellowship? If not on a CV, then how? Or is it simply expected that people will serve as a referee at some point, and doesn't need to be mentioned? Would it make a difference if the journal is in the habit of only sending a paper to one referee as opposed to several? Thanks for any input.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Last year I was asked to serve as a referee for a journal for the first time. When I was asked, my adviser (I'm a 4-ish year grad student) said something to the effect of 'you can put that on your CV'. Now I'm updating my CV, and I'm not sure if he was serious or not. I know we're supposed to be honored to ask to referee a paper - but is that something that could, or should, be mentioned when applying for a job or fellowship? If not on a CV, then how? Or is it simply expected that people will serve as a referee at some point, and doesn't need to be mentioned? Would it make a difference if the journal is in the habit of only sending a paper to one referee as opposed to several? Thanks for any input.
You definitely want to include this important information. It means that you are now a recognized authority on a particular subject area and can evaluate the work of others.

I became a referee via the same means as well. If you have a good supervisor/adviser, he/she will eventually try to get you to be a referee. It is one aspect of being a professional in your career.

Zz.

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Definitely put it on your cv- it's evidence of involvement in the scientific community. You don't have to provide details, just a subsection "Reviewer", followed by a list of journals and years active..

eri

Thanks guys - I'm glad I can put it on there; I think it's fairly unique among my peers.