1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Referee for a journal

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1

eri

Last year I was asked to serve as a referee for a journal for the first time. When I was asked, my adviser (I'm a 4-ish year grad student) said something to the effect of 'you can put that on your CV'. Now I'm updating my CV, and I'm not sure if he was serious or not. I know we're supposed to be honored to ask to referee a paper - but is that something that could, or should, be mentioned when applying for a job or fellowship? If not on a CV, then how? Or is it simply expected that people will serve as a referee at some point, and doesn't need to be mentioned? Would it make a difference if the journal is in the habit of only sending a paper to one referee as opposed to several? Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You definitely want to include this important information. It means that you are now a recognized authority on a particular subject area and can evaluate the work of others.

I became a referee via the same means as well. If you have a good supervisor/adviser, he/she will eventually try to get you to be a referee. It is one aspect of being a professional in your career.

Zz.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Definitely put it on your cv- it's evidence of involvement in the scientific community. You don't have to provide details, just a subsection "Reviewer", followed by a list of journals and years active..

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5

eri

Thanks guys - I'm glad I can put it on there; I think it's fairly unique among my peers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook