Refereeing a Journal: Can It Go On My CV?

• Thread starter eri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary, the conversation discusses whether serving as a referee for a journal should be mentioned on a CV when applying for a job or fellowship. There is a debate on whether it is expected or necessary to mention this experience, but ultimately it is seen as a valuable addition to a CV and an indication of involvement in the scientific community. It is recommended to include a subsection on the CV titled "Reviewer" with a list of journals and years active.
eri
Last year I was asked to serve as a referee for a journal for the first time. When I was asked, my adviser (I'm a 4-ish year grad student) said something to the effect of 'you can put that on your CV'. Now I'm updating my CV, and I'm not sure if he was serious or not. I know we're supposed to be honored to ask to referee a paper - but is that something that could, or should, be mentioned when applying for a job or fellowship? If not on a CV, then how? Or is it simply expected that people will serve as a referee at some point, and doesn't need to be mentioned? Would it make a difference if the journal is in the habit of only sending a paper to one referee as opposed to several? Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
eri said:
Last year I was asked to serve as a referee for a journal for the first time. When I was asked, my adviser (I'm a 4-ish year grad student) said something to the effect of 'you can put that on your CV'. Now I'm updating my CV, and I'm not sure if he was serious or not. I know we're supposed to be honored to ask to referee a paper - but is that something that could, or should, be mentioned when applying for a job or fellowship? If not on a CV, then how? Or is it simply expected that people will serve as a referee at some point, and doesn't need to be mentioned? Would it make a difference if the journal is in the habit of only sending a paper to one referee as opposed to several? Thanks for any input.

You definitely want to include this important information. It means that you are now a recognized authority on a particular subject area and can evaluate the work of others.

I became a referee via the same means as well. If you have a good supervisor/adviser, he/she will eventually try to get you to be a referee. It is one aspect of being a professional in your career.

Zz.

Definitely put it on your cv- it's evidence of involvement in the scientific community. You don't have to provide details, just a subsection "Reviewer", followed by a list of journals and years active..

Thanks guys - I'm glad I can put it on there; I think it's fairly unique among my peers.

What is refereeing a journal?

Refereeing a journal is a process in which a scientist evaluates the quality, originality, and relevance of a research paper submitted to a journal. This evaluation is done by experts in the field, known as referees, to ensure the validity and credibility of the research before it is published.

Why is refereeing a journal important?

Refereeing a journal is important because it helps maintain the quality and integrity of scientific research. It ensures that the research being published is rigorous and meets the standards of the scientific community. This process also allows for constructive criticism and helps improve the quality of the research before it is published.

Can I include refereeing a journal on my CV?

Yes, you can include refereeing a journal on your CV. It is a valuable experience that showcases your expertise and involvement in the scientific community. It also demonstrates your ability to critically evaluate research and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field.

How can I become a referee for a journal?

To become a referee for a journal, you can start by networking with other scientists in your field and expressing your interest in reviewing papers. You can also reach out to journal editors directly and inquire about their referee selection process. Additionally, publishing your own research in reputable journals can also increase your chances of being invited to referee for a journal.

What are the qualities of a good referee?

A good referee should possess a strong knowledge and expertise in their field of study. They should also have excellent communication skills, be able to provide constructive criticism, and have a high level of attention to detail. A good referee is also reliable, timely, and impartial in their evaluation of the research.