Reference Book Griffiths-Introduction to Electrodynamics

In summary, the speaker is looking for a reference book for their E&M course and is dissatisfied with Griffiths because they find the explanations to be disconnected and have difficulty understanding them. They also struggle with the problems in the book. They are recommended the book "Wangsness" as a better alternative and are grateful for the suggestion. Other suggestions include "Fundamentals of E&M" by Lorain and Corson, which is considered easier and more detailed than Griffiths.
mike217
I am looking for a reference book to use besides Griffiths. I find the explanations in Griffiths to be disconnected, and I have to work very very hard to make out what he is trying to explain. And then when I try the problems in the book I am handicapped (completely stuck). Most of the books I found were either at a higher or a lower level then Griffiths.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wangsness...It is in my opinion the best undergrad book in E&M, puts Griffiths to shame for clarity and uniformness of presentation.

Grifiths is my favorite E and M text at that level. That said, if you don't like Grifiths, you might prefer "Fundamentals of E and M" by Lorain and Corson. It is slightly easier than Grifiths, and they go into more detail.

Thank you very much guys. You just saved me from failing my course.

Related to Reference Book Griffiths-Introduction to Electrodynamics

1. What is the main purpose of "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths?

The main purpose of "Introduction to Electrodynamics" is to serve as a comprehensive introductory textbook on the subject of electrodynamics. It covers fundamental concepts and principles, as well as applications and problem-solving techniques in the field.

2. Is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" suitable for beginners in the field?

Yes, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" is designed to be accessible for beginners in the field. It starts with basic concepts and builds upon them gradually, making it a suitable textbook for introductory courses in electrodynamics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Introduction to Electrodynamics"?

A basic understanding of calculus, vector algebra, and mechanics is recommended as a prerequisite for reading "Introduction to Electrodynamics". Some prior knowledge of electricity and magnetism can also be helpful.

4. Does "Introduction to Electrodynamics" include practical applications and examples?

Yes, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" includes numerous practical applications and examples throughout the textbook. These help to illustrate the concepts and principles discussed and provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" a commonly used reference book in the field?

Yes, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" is considered a highly reputable and commonly used reference book in the field of electrodynamics. It is widely used in both undergraduate and graduate courses, as well as by professionals in the field.