Reference for summaton formula

In summary, the conversation is about a summation formula that was obtained with Mathematica and involves Bessel functions and the Euler-Mascheroni constant. The formula could not be found in any standard books and the person is seeking help in proving the relation from scratch, including a specific integral.
Pere Callahan
Hi all, I am desperately looking for a reference for a summation formula, which I have obtained with Mathematica.
It reads
[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^\infty{\frac{(-z)^k}{[(k+1)!]^2}H_{k+2}}=\frac{1}{2z^{3/2}}\left[\sqrt{z}\left[2-3z+\pi\operatorname{Y}_0\left(2\sqrt{z}\right)\right]-2\operatorname{J}_1\left(2\sqrt{z}\right)-\sqrt{z}\operatorname{J}_0\left(2\sqrt{z}\right)\left[2\gamma+\log z\right]\right]
[/tex]

where [itex]H_k=\sum_{n=1}^k{1/n}[/itex] is the k-th harmonic number, J and Y are Bessel functions and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the Euler-Mascheroni constant. I couldn't find anything resembling the formula in any of the standard books. Of course, any hints as to how to prove the relation from scratch are also highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Pere

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I now managed to show that the formula is equivalent to showing that
[tex]
\int_0^1 \frac{J_0\left(2 \sqrt{z}\right)-x J_0\left(2 \sqrt{x} \sqrt{z}\right)}{(x-1) z} \, dx
[/tex]
[tex]
=\frac{\sqrt{z} \left(\pi Y_0\left(2 \sqrt{z}\right)+(\log (z)+2 \gamma ) J_2\left(2 \sqrt{z}\right)\right)-(\log (z)+2 \gamma +2) J_1\left(2 \sqrt{z}\right)}{2 z^{3/2}}.
[/tex]
Maybe any hints on how to do this integral?:smile:

Thanks,
Pere

1. What is a summation formula?

A summation formula is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is often used to calculate the total value of a set of data or to find the area under a curve.

2. How do I use a summation formula?

To use a summation formula, you must first understand the pattern of numbers or terms being summed. Then, you can substitute the values into the formula and calculate the total sum.

3. Where can I find a reference for summation formulas?

You can find references for summation formulas in mathematics textbooks, online resources, and scientific journals. You can also consult with a math expert or tutor for assistance.

4. What are some commonly used summation formulas?

Some commonly used summation formulas include the arithmetic series formula, geometric series formula, and binomial theorem. Other examples include the sum of squares formula, sum of cubes formula, and the partial fraction decomposition formula.

5. Can I create my own summation formula?

Yes, you can create your own summation formula for a specific set of data or a particular mathematical problem. However, it is important to ensure that your formula is accurate and follows the correct mathematical principles.