Reference frames for photon collisions (pair production)

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the relativistic beta v/c and gamma 1/Sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) for a scenario involving three photons in two different reference frames. They have attempted to use the relativistic doppler shift formula but it may not be applicable. Suggestions are given to use conservation of energy and momentum equations, the Lorentz transformation equations, or the relativistic energy-momentum equation to solve the problem.
hartin

Homework Statement

Hi,
My question probably has a simple answer, but I've been scratching my
head over it a little too long so I thought I would ask it here. I
have three initial photons involved in a collision with 4-momenta k1,
k2 and k3. I have two reference frames:
frame 1: the centre of mass frame of photons k1 and k2 (so that 3-momenta k1+k2=0)
frame 2: the centre of mass frame of all photons k1, k2 and k3 (so that 3-momenta k1+k2+k3=0)

I want to find out what the relativistic beta v/c and gamma 1/Sqrt(1-(v/c)^2 are.

Homework Equations

beta=v/c
gamma=1/Sqrt[1-(v/c)^2]
(observed frequency/source frequency)^2=(1+beta)/(1-beta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So there seems no way to directly find the relative velocity of the two frames is as only photons are involved (relative velocity=c ?!?). I thought to use the expression for the relativistic doppler shift, but that doesn't seem appropriate.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It's great that you are thinking about this problem and trying to find a solution. As you mentioned, the relativistic doppler shift formula may not be applicable in this case since it is typically used for objects with mass. However, there are other equations that can help you determine the relative velocity and gamma factor in this scenario.

One approach could be to use the conservation of energy and momentum equations in the two frames. Since the 3-momenta in frame 1 and frame 2 are equal to 0, you can equate the total energy in each frame to find the relationship between the velocities. Additionally, you can use the Lorentz transformation equations to relate the velocities and gamma factors in the two frames.

Another approach could be to use the relativistic energy-momentum equation, which takes into account the energy and momentum of photons. This equation can also help you find the relationship between the velocities in the two frames.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas on how to approach this problem. Keep exploring and don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a reference frame in the context of photon collisions?

A reference frame is a coordinate system used to describe the motion and interactions of particles in a given scenario. In the context of photon collisions, it is used to describe the positions and velocities of the particles before and after the collision.

2. Why is it important to consider reference frames in photon collisions?

In order to accurately describe and understand the process of photon collisions, it is crucial to consider the reference frames of the particles involved. This allows scientists to analyze the interactions and energy transfer between particles in a specific frame of reference.

3. How do reference frames affect the outcome of photon collisions?

The choice of reference frame can greatly impact the observed results of photon collisions. Different frames of reference may show different energies or momenta for the particles involved, which can affect the interpretation of the data and the understanding of the underlying physical processes.

4. Can reference frames be changed in the middle of a photon collision experiment?

No, it is not possible to change the reference frame in the middle of an experiment. The reference frame is chosen before the experiment begins and remains constant throughout the observation and analysis of the results.

5. Are there any standard reference frames used in studying photon collisions?

Yes, there are several standard reference frames commonly used in studying photon collisions. The most commonly used are the center-of-mass frame, the laboratory frame, and the rest frame of one of the particles involved. The choice of frame depends on the specific scenario and desired measurements.