• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Reference Frames? Putting multiple perspectives in kinamatics in 2D problems

• Thread starter Npatel2
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

I have this assignment on where I have to make up a scenario and solve for the question. The question is that there is a baby that is being thrown out of building in to a moving car, (to keep the baby out of harms way). How fast would the car have to traveling to catch the baby.

I did all the work to find the final velocity of the car and time and all the variables.
The baby is falling at a 30 degree angle. So it was thrown up 30 degrees and then down to make that arc. And the building was 100m tall. The baby is flying at 5 m/s. The car is initially going 5.56m/s how much acceleration does he need and how fast does he need to go.

Im not sure how I'm supposed to put it into three different perspectives and do the math for it. The main question is how to put it in three different perspectives.

2. Homework Equations

y=vit+.5at^2
d=vt
vf=vi+at

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For the baby:
Vix=5 cos 30
viy=5 cos 39
x=
ax=0
t=4.2696

viy=5 sin 30
vfy=
y=100m
ay=9.8m/s^2
t=4.2696

I did the math to get the time by using the formula y=vit+.5at^2
then I found x distance too I'm not sure if it's relavent though. Its about 10.674m.