1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference Frames? Putting multiple perspectives in kinamatics in 2D problems

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have this assignment on where I have to make up a scenario and solve for the question. The question is that there is a baby that is being thrown out of building in to a moving car, (to keep the baby out of harms way). How fast would the car have to traveling to catch the baby.

I did all the work to find the final velocity of the car and time and all the variables.
    The baby is falling at a 30 degree angle. So it was thrown up 30 degrees and then down to make that arc. And the building was 100m tall. The baby is flying at 5 m/s. The car is initially going 5.56m/s how much acceleration does he need and how fast does he need to go.

Im not sure how I'm supposed to put it into three different perspectives and do the math for it. The main question is how to put it in three different perspectives.

2. Relevant equations

y=vit+.5at^2
    d=vt
    vf=vi+at

3. The attempt at a solution

For the baby:
    Vix=5 cos 30
    viy=5 cos 39
    x=
    ax=0
    t=4.2696

viy=5 sin 30
    vfy=
    y=100m
    ay=9.8m/s^2
    t=4.2696

I did the math to get the time by using the formula y=vit+.5at^2
    then I found x distance too I'm not sure if it's relavent though. Its about 10.674m.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted