Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference Frames

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    I am wondering about the generality of reference frames, and how abstract they can be.

Is it possible for a vector in one reference frame to not exist in another frame? Or is there always a relation between two reference frames?

Also, are two reference frames like two different sets of coordinate axes? I mean can you always get from one reference frame to another just by knowing the position and or rotation values?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    I think one vector in one frame can be zero in another frame. For example, in a free fall frame, the gravity vector is juxt zero.
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    Ok, I think what I meant to say is,

Can a reference frame A always be represented in terms of reference frame B only by having a spacial and a rotational translation?
  5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

Gold Member

In special relativity the transformations between inertial frames are translation, spatial rotation and boosts. Boosts are rotations that mix space and time and represent a frame that is moving wrt the base frame.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?