1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference Frames

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    I am wondering about the generality of reference frames, and how abstract they can be.

Is it possible for a vector in one reference frame to not exist in another frame? Or is there always a relation between two reference frames?

Also, are two reference frames like two different sets of coordinate axes? I mean can you always get from one reference frame to another just by knowing the position and or rotation values?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    I think one vector in one frame can be zero in another frame. For example, in a free fall frame, the gravity vector is juxt zero.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    Ok, I think what I meant to say is,

Can a reference frame A always be represented in terms of reference frame B only by having a spacial and a rotational translation?

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

In special relativity the transformations between inertial frames are translation, spatial rotation and boosts. Boosts are rotations that mix space and time and represent a frame that is moving wrt the base frame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?