1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference Letters

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    Hi, Im currently a 3rd year electrical engineering student and I will looking for 12-16 month co-op/internship following the completion of this year.

I have recieved some reference letters from my professors and just wanted to know, is it advisable to include one or two along with my resume and cover letter? Or would it be better to pass them along to the recruiter/hiring manager at the time of the interview?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2
    Scothoward,

I'm not sure how important reference letters are unless the employer wants them.

My manager at IBM told me to not even put References are available upon request because its taking up space and its assumed if we want references, you'll give them to us.

(after I was hired he showed us how to write a good resume)

The rule of thumb is to never make the resume more than 1 page, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to include them or not, I guess it all depends on what company you are going for and how they treat things like that.

I think if you can get a face to face interview with him, you should give him your recommendation letters then, not at the career fair though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, keep the resume short and sweet.

I wouldn't hand out reference letters left and right either. Only to employers that show interest.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with the others: don't include references, but just add on the bottom of your CV "references available on request" or something like that. Then you can provide them if and when you are asked.

6. Nov 8, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But coffee has a good point to not put "references available upon request".

That's like say you got a high school diploma on your resume. They already know you got one. They also know that references are (SHOULD) available upon request. It's a waste of precious space.

7. Nov 8, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the OP is applying for an internship without actually having a degree, so the only official qualifications he has is his high school diploma, which should clearly be put on a resume!
    I always put references available upon request, since it shows I have thought in advance and have referees! Why implicitly imply something when you could tell them!

8. Nov 8, 2007 #7
    I've never heard of someone not getting an interview because they had "Reference are available upon request". I see no harm in actually putting it at the very bottom. Sure, they probably assume that they are available, but it's more of a formality than anything else. Just like cover letters and thank you notes!

9. Nov 8, 2007 #8
    no harm in putting that at the bottom. It is kind of reassuring for an employer, that someone is willing to stick up for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?