Is it possible to subtract two waveforms without a common reference or ground?

In summary, the conversation discusses sampling two waveforms, A and B, and subtracting them to get C. The devices sampling A and B are connected to a remote device via a wireless link and do not have a common reference or ground. The proposed solution is to take the potential difference between A and a battery's negative terminal, and B and the next battery's negative terminal, assuming that they are equal. This will result in two standalone quantities that can be subtracted at the receiving end of the wireless link.
juming
Morning :)
I am trying to sample two different waveforms, and subtract the one from the other. Basically, I have A, B, and want C=A-B.
The device calculating the C=A-B is remote, connected to the two sampling A and B via a wireless link.
A and B do not have any common reference or ground, and the devices sampling them are battery operated.
Can I simply take the potential difference between A and a battery's negative terminal... and B and the next battery's negative terminal... and assume that the negative terminals are equal, such that I now have two waves that I can subtract from each other to get a proper difference between the two?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like each floating wireless sensor is sending the amplitude of A and the amplitude of B. As such, they are stand-alone quantities, without any reference anymore. So yes, just do a simple arithmetic subtraction at the receiving end of the wireless link.

Morning! It is possible to subtract two waveforms without a common reference or ground, but it may not be accurate or reliable. When subtracting two waveforms, it is important to have a common reference or ground to ensure accurate measurements. Without a common reference or ground, there could be errors introduced into the subtraction calculation, resulting in an incorrect or unreliable waveform.

In your situation, taking the potential difference between A and a battery's negative terminal and B and the next battery's negative terminal may provide a rough estimate of the difference between the two waveforms, but it may not be precise. This is because the negative terminals of the batteries may not be exactly equal, and there could be variations due to battery life or other factors.

Therefore, it is recommended to have a common reference or ground when subtracting two waveforms to ensure accuracy and reliability in the measurement. This can be achieved by using a common ground wire or by connecting the devices to a common power source. I hope this helps clarify your question. Have a great day!

1. What is a reference voltage?

A reference voltage is a stable and precise electrical signal used as a standard for comparison in electronic circuits. It is typically used to provide a fixed point of reference for other voltages in a circuit.

2. How is a reference voltage generated?

A reference voltage can be generated using various methods such as a voltage regulator, a precision resistor divider, or a voltage reference chip. These methods ensure a stable and accurate output voltage.

3. What is the purpose of a reference voltage in electronic circuits?

The purpose of a reference voltage in electronic circuits is to provide a stable and accurate voltage for other components to use as a comparison or standard. This helps ensure the proper functioning of the circuit and accurate measurements.

4. How is a reference voltage measured?

A reference voltage can be measured using a voltmeter or a multimeter. It is typically measured between the output and ground of the voltage source to determine its accuracy and stability.

5. What can cause variations in a reference voltage?

Variations in a reference voltage can be caused by factors such as temperature changes, aging of components, and external interference. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain the reference voltage source to ensure its accuracy and stability.