Referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I would much appreciate if anyone coud give me some tips/referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking. Namely detailed referrence on Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Neitrino said:
I would much appreciate if anyone coud give me some tips/referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking. Namely detailed referrence on Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles.
If you mean "Namby" as in Yoichiro Nambu, then the symmetry breaking paper that you want is

Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961).

However, you need to also look at Anderson's work on the Goldstone boson that showed that such a thing can have a mass

P W Anderson, Phys. Rev. v.130, p.439 (1963).

Both of these are crucial in the Higgs paper:

P W Higgs, Phys. Lett. v.12, p.132 (1964).

Zz.

Thank you for referrences much appreciate ur help.
Unfortunateli im not quite familiar with math of QFT
could anybody help me...in following..

In Paper Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961). in section III Authors are getting formula (3.4) to define self-energy part of particle. How does that formula come out? That self-energy part it's a actuaaly mass operator?

Thks a lot

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Neitrino said:
Thank you for referrences much appreciate ur help.
Unfortunateli im not quite familiar with math of QFT
could anybody help me...in following..

In Paper Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961). in section III Authors are getting formula (3.4) to define self-energy part of particle. How does that formula come out? That self-energy part it's a actuaaly mass operator?

Thks a lot
I can't comment about this particular part since I didn't study the paper that closely. However, the self-energy term usually comes out of the single-particle Green's function, often called the propagator in QFT. It's form depends totally on the kind of interactions you are considering, i.e. how many higher order coupling.

The only references I would recommend on this is Mattuck's "Feynman Diagram in Many-Body Problem" and Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics".

Zz.