Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking

1. Aug 15, 2005 #1
    I would much appreciate if anyone coud give me some tips/referencess on Dynamical Symmetry Breaking. Namely detailed referrence on Namby Jona-lasinio model of mass for particles.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you mean "Namby" as in Yoichiro Nambu, then the symmetry breaking paper that you want is

Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961).

However, you need to also look at Anderson's work on the Goldstone boson that showed that such a thing can have a mass

P W Anderson, Phys. Rev. v.130, p.439 (1963).

Both of these are crucial in the Higgs paper:

P W Higgs, Phys. Lett. v.12, p.132 (1964).

Zz.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3
    Thank you for referrences much appreciate ur help.
    Unfortunateli im not quite familiar with math of QFT
    could anybody help me...in following..

In Paper Y. Nambu and G Jona-Lasinio, Phys. Rev. v.122, p.345 (1961). in section III Authors are getting formula (3.4) to define self-energy part of particle. How does that formula come out? That self-energy part it's a actuaaly mass operator?

Thks a lot

5. Aug 18, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can't comment about this particular part since I didn't study the paper that closely. However, the self-energy term usually comes out of the single-particle Green's function, often called the propagator in QFT. It's form depends totally on the kind of interactions you are considering, i.e. how many higher order coupling.

The only references I would recommend on this is Mattuck's "Feynman Diagram in Many-Body Problem" and Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics".

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?