1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Referencing in a report

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    I'm currently writing a report on moebius transformations. I haven't had to reference for quite some time and I'm not totally sure how to go about it. When introducing theorems, definitions, etc do I need to reference the source?
    Also throughout the report I have often taken concepts from a source and reduced them into more understandable language. Do I need to mention this source material?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    If the theorem or definition is original to the source, you certainly need to cite the source.

If it's common knowledge (e.g. the definition of a Möbius transformation) you don't necessarily need to cite a source. However, if you closely follow a particular source's exposition of well-known material (for example, introducing theorems in the same order as a certain book or paper, or presenting a proof you found somewhere else), then you should give credit to that source.

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    If in doubt, cite it. It doesn't cost anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook