BP Amoco Refinery Explosion: Dad Safe

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary: It does sound like this has been a tough day.In summary, the explosion at the BP Amoco refinery this afternoon has resulted in at least 14 dead and 105 injured.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There was a huge explosion this afternoon at the BP Amoco refinery where my dad works. Thank heavens he is OK. It looks pretty bad:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4311459/detail.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glad your Dad was ok..sorry to hear others were not.

thank you, hypatia. At the time I talked to mom there were no deaths reported but sadly, it looks like this has changed.

I'm so glad your dad is ok! It does look really bad. Being from Houston, that really hits home.

Oh, that looks terrible. MIH, I'm really glad to hear your father is okay. Does he know any of the people who were hurt or killed?

Thanks, Evo and Moonbear. I think he's still down there so we don't have anymore news. He was only able to talk to mom for about a minute, just long enough to tell her he's alright.
This is one of those things we always worry about. They have had small explosions at the plant before, but never anything like this. They work with pretty dangerous stuff at that plant. By-products, like sulfuric acid, are processed there.

Glad your dad is OK. Nontheless, condolences are in order. No one involved escapes emotional injury when tragic events occur.

Thanks, Chronos. Still no news from home and dad hasn't returned. I imagine Texas City is a pretty big mess right now.

Not to in any way make light of a grim situation, but your link says, "Officials said that fire started in a furnace." Had there been no victims, that would be a humorous quote. Hopefully we will hear more details on what such a thing could mean.

The explosion occurred in a part of the plant used to boost the octane level of gasoline.
ABC News/AP News

It doesn't sound good with 70 injured and an undetermined number killed. :frown: (sad)

MIH, glad to hear your dad's OK. Thoughts are with those who lost someone.

Texas City! Wow... Again.. Back in the late 40s a shipload of Amonium Nitrate blew up in Texas City,.. Killed hundreds and destroyed city blocks.

http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html

Glad to hear your dad is ok, sounds like some hard days ahead though. Good luck.

here we go,we going to pay 10-15 cents more for gas

National Incident Notification Network (NINN)

http://newscenter.ninn.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9442 [Broken]

14 dead, 105 injured.

Not sure how reliable.

Integral said:
Back in the late 40s a shipload of Amonium Nitrate blew up in Texas City,.. Killed hundreds and destroyed city blocks.
I am glad this one wasn't that bad. I am glad your dad is ok, MIH. Still, I will be thinking of the families of those who died.

Hi MIH;
My apologies for not joining earlier. I didn't want to say anything until I had a chance to see the news. I don't get cable, so had to wait until CBC National came on. Glad that your dad's okay, although he'll probably be shaken up for a while (as with everyone else in the vincinity, I would imagine). It seems as if he has a great family backing him up.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your posts. This has been a very stressful day. Dad finally got home. He was uninjured, but I'm afraid I will find out soon that he lost some dear friends in the accident.

Late chime in here as well MIH.

Our condolences to your dad and all involved.

What caused the BP Amoco Refinery Explosion?

The BP Amoco Refinery Explosion was caused by a series of failures in the refinery's safety systems. Investigations revealed that a corroded pipe in the isomerization unit had not been properly inspected or replaced, leading to a leak of highly flammable hydrocarbons. This, combined with inadequate alarm systems and a lack of emergency response training, ultimately resulted in the explosion.

How many fatalities were there in the BP Amoco Refinery Explosion?

The explosion at the BP Amoco Refinery resulted in the tragic loss of 15 lives and caused many other injuries. The victims were mostly employees and contractors working at the refinery at the time of the explosion.

What were the environmental impacts of the BP Amoco Refinery Explosion?

The explosion caused significant environmental damage, as it released a large amount of toxic chemicals and pollutants into the air and water. It also resulted in a massive oil spill into Lake Michigan, leading to the death of thousands of fish and other aquatic life. The long-term effects of this incident on the environment are still being studied.

What safety measures have been implemented since the BP Amoco Refinery Explosion?

Following the explosion, BP Amoco took several steps to improve safety at its refinery, including conducting thorough inspections and maintenance of equipment, implementing stricter safety protocols, and providing better emergency response training for employees. The company also paid a hefty fine and settled a number of lawsuits related to the incident.

Has the BP Amoco Refinery resumed operations after the explosion?

Yes, the BP Amoco Refinery has resumed operations after the explosion. However, the refinery underwent extensive repairs and upgrades to ensure the safety of its operations. The incident also prompted stricter regulations and oversight of the refinery's operations by government agencies.