1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflected and Transmitted Waves Phase changes

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an infinitely long continuous string with tension [tex]\tau[/tex]. A mass M is attached to the string at x=0. If a wave train with velocity [tex]\frac{\omega}{k}[/tex] is incident from the left, show that reflection and transmission occur at x=0 and that the coefficients R and T are given.
    Consider carefully the boundary condition on the derivatives of the wave functions at x=0. What are the phase changes for the reflected and transmitted waves?

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the first part of the problem using a boundary condition derived from Newton's second law. And showed that Sin[theta]^2 = R and Cos[theta]^2 = T, where Tan[theta] = m*(omega)/(2*tau*k). I don't know where to start to find the phase changes. I think it has something to do with the ratio of the complex to the real part of the solution that I found in the first part, but again not sure how to go about this.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?