Can a Surface be Designed to Reflect Light Horizontally?

• Thread starter geordief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, it is possible to have a surface designed in such a way that when it is struck by a ray of light, the reflected light takes a horizontal direction.
geordief
is it possible to have a surface designed in such a way that ,when it is struck by a ray of light , the reflected light (fort he sake of example) takes a horizontal direction.
My idea is that the light would propagate in a plane which would be more or less parallel to the plane of the surface that the light had struck..
I am not asking whether it is possible to direct the beam in a parallel direction to any given surface bit if it can be done to the actual surface it has impacted .

If it had struck a tile the roof of a house ,for example, could the slate be so designed (or painted) as to reflect the light in the direction of the adjoining slates instead of the angle of incidence that I learned about in school?

I realize that this sounds impossible but ,with so much changing in physics over the years I wonder if this could actually be done.

Science news on Phys.org
thanks for that.
(I do wonder if my level of ignorance in this area has reached its own particular critical threshold!)
Upon inspecting your link I can now see that what I was looking for is easily possible .
Is it possible to also arrange the surface so that a ray of light arriving at the critical angle might propagate not only tangentially to the surface but also a bit like you might see if you cast a pebble in the water -ie if you were throwing a dart at a dart board (as an analogy to the ray of light ) could the dart be thrown at the bull's eye (at the critical angle of course) and then be deflected to any (or all) of the numbers ? or ,ideally just to the area between due South and due East (or any particular area you happened to want)
I imagine a rabbit's warren of optical fibres might do the trick but would that be overkill ?
Can it be done at all simply?
Would the surface need to be tracking the sun all the while?

Where's my post?

geordief seems to have read it but where is it now?

Last edited:

I would say that it is indeed possible to design a surface that reflects light horizontally. This is known as retroreflection and it involves redirecting light back towards its source in a parallel direction. This can be achieved through the use of specialized materials and coatings, such as retroreflective tape or paint, which contain tiny glass beads that reflect light back in a specific direction.

One example of this technology is the reflective road signs and markers that are commonly used on highways. These surfaces are designed to reflect light from car headlights back towards the driver, making the signs more visible at night.

In theory, it is possible to apply this concept to any surface, including the example of a roof tile mentioned in the question. However, it would require careful design and precise placement of the retroreflective material in order to achieve the desired effect.

It is also worth noting that retroreflection is not a perfect process and some light will still be scattered in other directions. However, with the right materials and design, it is possible to significantly increase the amount of light that is reflected horizontally.

In conclusion, while it may not be a common or easily achievable feat, it is certainly possible to design a surface that reflects light horizontally through the use of retroreflective materials and coatings. As with any scientific concept, it would require careful research and experimentation to fully understand and implement.

1. Can a surface be designed to reflect light horizontally?

Yes, a surface can be specifically designed to reflect light horizontally. This is known as a specular surface, which reflects light at equal angles in the opposite direction.

2. What material is best for designing a surface to reflect light horizontally?

The best material for designing a surface to reflect light horizontally is one that has a high index of refraction, such as glass or plastic. These materials have a higher ability to bend and reflect light at specific angles.

3. What is the purpose of designing a surface to reflect light horizontally?

The purpose of designing a surface to reflect light horizontally is to control the direction of light and create specific lighting effects. This can be useful in photography, architecture, and other industries where lighting is important for aesthetic or functional purposes.

4. Can a surface be designed to reflect light horizontally without any special treatment?

No, a surface cannot reflect light horizontally without any special treatment. It requires precise engineering and design to manipulate the surface's properties and create a horizontal reflection of light.

5. Are there any limitations to designing a surface to reflect light horizontally?

Yes, there are limitations to designing a surface to reflect light horizontally. The angle of incidence and the material of the surface can affect the quality and intensity of the horizontal reflection. Additionally, the design of the surface may only work for specific wavelengths or colors of light.