1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection along lines - simple geom help pls?

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    We were asked to make generalisations for the following:

a.) if a point is reflected along y = x+c
    b.) if a point is reflected along y = -x+c

i came up w/ the ff.:
    a.) if a point is reflected along y = x+c, then the general point (a, b) will become (b-c, a+c)

b.) if a point is reflected along y = -x+c, then the general point (a, b) will become (-b+c, -a+c)

let me knw if these are correct... if not then pls guide me and tell me the correct generalisations thank u!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One easy way to check: if points are reflected around a line, then points on the line are not changed. (0, c) is on the line. If "(a, b) will become (b- c, a+ c)" then (0, c) will become (0, c). That looks good. More generally, (x, x+ c) will become ((x+c)-c, x+ c)= (x, c).

If y= -x+ c then (x, -x+ c), using (-b+c, -a+c) becomes (-(-x+c)+ c, -x+ c)= (x, -x+c) again.

To complete the check, to see if the line from (a, b) to (b-c, a+ c) is always perpendicular to y= x+ c. The slope of the line from (a, b) to (b-c, a+ c) is (a+c- b)/(b-c-a)= -1. The slope of y= x+ c is 1. Yes they are perpendicular.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much...just a few followup questions (I hope it is ok to ask in this thread as well):

1) what would happen to point (a, b) if it is reflected along y = mx+c, where m is not 1 or -1 (that is, a line which slope is not -1 or 1)?
    2) can "when a point A is reflected along line y = -mx+c, the line made by points A and A' have slope of 1" be made as a generalisation too?
    3) can "when a point B is reflected along line y = mx+c, the line made by points B and B' have slope of -1" be made as a generalisation too?

for 2 and 3, provided that m is not 0 or undefined..., and that A and A', and B and B' are not invariant points.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?