Reflection and refraction of light problem

In summary: You can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the other two sides. Then, using the law of reflection, you can find the angle t1 and the distance L. In summary, the homework statement is that if you shine a laser at a normal interface with a slab of material, you can calculate the distance the light travels INSIDE the slab as a function of the width and the angle you shine the laser at. You can also calculate the angle t1 and the distance L if you shine the laser across the slab.
bbangel615

Homework Statement

3. Assume the slab is perfectly rectangular and has width W.
(a) Calculate the distance (L) the light travels INSIDE the block as a function of W and the angle t1.
(b) From the right-angled triangle with vertices IPE calculate the lateral displacement x in terms of the incident and reflected angles and the width of the sample.
(c) If the incident angle is 60 degree, n=1.81, and W= 8.0 cm, what is x?

4.)

Homework Equations

They mentioned Snell's law and how transmitted ray is parallel to the incident ray. n1sin(O1)=n2sing(02) 0=delta or whatever the circle with a little curve on the top is called. a diagram is attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't get this. help:(

Attachments

• phsyics.jpg
    phsyics.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture is really poor quality, but let's see if I deciphered it correctly.

So I'm assuming L is the length of the Refracted wave and that's what you want to find based on the width W and angle you shine the laser at, right?

So Let's take the two extreme cases. You shine the light right into the slab at a normal interface, so it's not at an angle at all. Based on that picture, you can see that the laser will go straight through the slab and come out the other side, right? Now if you lay the slab flat and shine the laser across it, it will just skim the surface and really never come out the other side, right? Basically you get "infinity".

Well, how do you get infinities? By dividing by a number that gets closer and closer to zero, right? That's pretty much the only real way of getting it.

So... you have a number W and dividing it by something can give you either W back at 0 degrees or infinity at 90 degrees. Do you know of a function that is 1 at 0 degrees and 0 at 90 degrees?

Hi Poop-Loops,

Poop-Loops said:
The picture is really poor quality, but let's see if I deciphered it correctly.

So I'm assuming L is the length of the Refracted wave and that's what you want to find based on the width W and angle you shine the laser at, right?

So Let's take the two extreme cases. You shine the light right into the slab at a normal interface, so it's not at an angle at all. Based on that picture, you can see that the laser will go straight through the slab and come out the other side, right? Now if you lay the slab flat and shine the laser across it, it will just skim the surface and really never come out the other side, right? Basically you get "infinity".

No, I don't think that's right. If the incident ray is right at 90 degrees to the normal, the ray that refracts in will be less than 90 degrees; in fact it will be at the critical angle for that material in air. The length of the refracted ray inside will be finite.

I think a good approach here for part a would be to construct a triangle with the length L as one of the sides.

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction of light?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays when they hit a surface, while refraction is the bending of light rays as they pass through a material with a different density.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflection and refraction of light?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a light ray hits a surface, determines the angle at which the ray will be reflected or refracted. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of reflection or refraction.

3. What is the law of reflection and how does it apply to light?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, with both angles being measured from the normal line (a line perpendicular to the surface). This law applies to light as it reflects off of a surface, such as a mirror.

4. Why is the speed of light different in different materials?

The speed of light is determined by the density of the material it is passing through. In denser materials, such as glass or water, light travels at a slower speed, causing it to bend or refract as it passes through.

5. How does the refraction of light cause objects to appear distorted?

When light passes through a material with a different density, it bends or refracts, causing the image of an object to appear distorted. This is because the light rays are not traveling in a straight path, as they would in air, and are instead being bent by the material.