1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection and Transmission

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an infinitely long continuous string with tension [tex]\tau[/tex]. A mass [tex]M[/tex] is attached to the string at x=0. If a wave train with velocity [tex]\frac{\omega}{k}[/tex] is incident from the left, show that reflection and transmission occur at x=0 and that the coefficients R and T are given.
    Consider carefully the boundary condition on the derivatives of the wave functions at x=0. What are the phase changes for the reflected and transmitted waves?

2. Relevant equations
    i. [tex]R = sin^2\theta[/tex]
    ii. [tex]T = cos^2\theta[/tex]
    iii. [tex]tan\theta = \frac{M\omega^2}{2k\tau}[/tex]
    iv. [tex]\psi_1(x,t) = \psi_i + \psi_r = Ae^{i(\omega t - kx)} + Be^{i(\omega t + kx)}[/tex]
    v. [tex]\psi_2(x,t) = \psi_t[/tex], however, I do not know what this is.

** note ** [tex]\psi_i[/tex] is the incident wave, [tex]\psi_r[/tex] is the reflected wave, and [tex]\psi_t[/tex] is the transmitted wave

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am used to dealing with situations where the string is of 2 different densities, therefore, [tex]\psi_t[/tex] will have a different value for k than [tex]\psi_i[/tex]. However, in this case, the densities are the same on either side of the mass, and the only obstruction is the mass. If I knew how to find an equation for [tex]\psi_2(x,t)[/tex], then I could potentially solve the rest of the problem.
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    I still haven't reached any solution to my problem.

Any help is appreciated.
  4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    EDIT: Ignore this post. The result leads nowhere.

According to my calculations, this is true: [tex]\frac{d^2\psi_1}{dt^2}(0,t) = \frac{d^2\psi_2}{dt^2}(0,t)[/tex]

Do you see why?

Hint: Apply Newton's (2nd?) Law to the central mass and find an expression for the net force on [tex]M[/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. Dec 4, 2006 #4
    I realise this is due in about ~1/2 hour, but the second boundary condition is given by:
    [tex]M\frac{d^2\psi_1}{dt^2} = M\frac{d^2\psi_2}{dt^2} = \tau \left( \frac{d\psi_1}{dx} - \frac{d\psi_2}{dx}\right) (0,t)[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?