Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reflection and Wavefronts

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    Hi,

A wave is changing from medium A to medium B and it travels slower in medium B than in medium A. If I draw a normal line from the boundary to the wavefront the wavefront in medium B will move away from the normal? I attached to make it more clear

Furthermore, I got this question:

The angle between the wavefronts and the interface in region A is 60. The refractive index anb is 1.4.

What I did was: if 60 between wavefront and boundary, 30 degrees between ray and boundary: sin 30 / sin r = 1.4. I then got between the wavefront and the boundary 69.1 degrees but it is wrong, the mark scheme got 38 degrees. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like they were specifying the angle with respect to the normal to the surface. (They probably mixed them up.)

Edit: On closer inspection, there's nothing wrong with the diagram or problem statement.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    Um, sorry, I am still a bit confused in relation to how they did it. I attached the question since I didn't word it very clearly in my first post:

Attached Files:

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Here's the problem:
    What you need in Snell's law is the angle between the ray and the normal.

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    Oh, sorry, that was a typo I guess... In the diagram, the angle between the wavefront and the normal is 60 degrees. So I did 90-60 to get the angle between the ray and the normal. I did sin 30 / 1.4 while the mark scheme did sin 60 1.4. So the mark scheme is wrong? :confused:

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6

Doc Al

No, the diagram is quite clear. The angle between the wavefront and the boundary is 60 degrees.

8. Sep 4, 2011 #7
    Ah, never mind, I got it now. Thanks! But if you wouldn't mind, could you help me with the second part of the question I linked? I got the first part but I am confused as to what the marking scheme says:

position of any one minimum closer to centre / minima closer together;
    frequency increased so wavelength decreased / correct explanation in terms of double-slit equation;

Attached Files:

9. Sep 4, 2011 #8

Doc Al

I knew you'd figure it out. :wink:
    Are you sure you linked it? (See next post--you were still linking when I wrote this.)

10. Sep 4, 2011 #9

Doc Al

That's the trick. Do you realize that since the speed of the wave is fixed, increasing the frequency must decrease the wavelength? And how will a smaller wavelength affect the pattern? What does the double-slit equation tell you?

11. Sep 4, 2011 #10
    Sorry Doc Al, I updated the post a few seconds after I posted it. I am tired, I shouldn't be studying until now so I am making those frustrating stupid mistakes :redface: But this is the last question and then I am done!

12. Sep 4, 2011 #11

Doc Al

Look above!

13. Sep 4, 2011 #12
    Ah, the distance between the first destructive interference (half a wavelength) to the center will decrease?

14. Sep 4, 2011 #13

Doc Al

Yes. Smaller wavelength means that a given maximum or minimum will be closer to the center.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook