Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection at the Quantum Level

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1

-Job-

Science Advisor

If i throw a tennis ball against a wall in a 45 degree angle, it reflects with a 45 degree angle. A beam of light against a mirror also reflects in a 45 degree angle.
    If i throw a tennis ball against some irregular surface in a 45 degree angle then the ball, depending on the shape of the surface, will possibly not reflect in a 45 degree angle.
    If my ball is a photon and my surface is the mirror, at the quantum level the mirror, composed of its atoms and molecules is likely an irregular surface, hence i would expect that a beam of light against a mirror would reflect in an angle depending on where it hit the mirror.
    Is a reflected photon absorved and then emitted or is it just never absorved at all? I'm a little confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The reflection of a photon by a mirror is simple when described as a part of the "wave" nature of light. You're looking at it from the "particle" point of view and that is a lot more complicated.

To do the light reflection as a particle, you have to sum up the contributions of all the places the light could possibly have been absorbed at, and then, using a "propagator" figure out where the light could have gone from that spot. In the end, you'll get the same answer, but it will take a lot more trouble.

Feynman has a good discussion of this in his lay oriented book "QED, the strange theory of matter and light" ($11 at Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691024170/qid=1130893372

Carl

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Notice one very important thing - a typical mirror is made of a metal.

What this implies is that within the visible range, the conduction electrons play the most significant role in this. The transition from one band to the next upon absorption of a photon involves a conservation of the transverse momentum (separated by the reciprocal lattice vector). And because these are electrons, their response to the photons E-field causes a retransmission that lags in phase by pi/2.

Zz.

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

-Job-

Science Advisor

Excellent, that was the only explanation that seemed to fit, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?