1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection in euclidean space

1. May 27, 2008 #1

gop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

V is a three-dimensional euclidean space and v1,v2,v3 is a orthonormal base of that space.
    Calculate the Matrix of the reflection over the subspace spanned by v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3 .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To determine the matrix I have first to select a base I could try to use v1,v2,v3 but I can't see how to determine the entries of the matrix then.
    I could use v1+v2 and v1+2*v2+3*v3 (the base of the subspace) and try to extend to a base of R^3; however I can't see how to do that with the general case without knowing what v1,v2,v3 actually is.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not just write the matrix in the v1,v2,v3 basis? I.e. just treat them as though they were i,j,k. Create an orthonormal basis for the subspace. The basis vectors for it are fixed by the reflection and the orthogonal vector is multiplied by (-1). Once you have it in that basis, then if you really have to, apply the basis change from the standard basis to v1,v2,v3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?