Reflection in Mirrors AAARRRGHHHH

In summary, the incident beam will be reflected multiple times by two parallel mirrors that are 1.60m high and 1.40m apart. The beam is aimed at a left mirror at a 5 degree angle from the horizontal. To calculate the number of reflections, one must determine the horizontal distance the beam would travel in order to go 1.60m in the upward direction. Then, the number of times the beam would need to travel between the mirrors to cover this horizontal distance can be calculated.
Kawrae
Reflection in Mirrors! AAARRRGHHHH

>> How many times will the incident beam be reflected by each of two parallel mirrors that are 1.60m high and 1.40m apart? The beam is aimed at the left mirror at 5 degrees from the horizontal.

Okay I am completely lost here. I've read over all my reflection formulas I can figure out and none seem to apply here... I even (despite my roommates persistance of my being crazy) broke out a tape measure and mapped it out on the floor and somehow still came out with the wrong answer.

Can anyone tell me how to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
How far across must the beam travel to go 1.60m in the upward direction?

How many times would the beam need to travel between mirrors to travel the above horizontal distance?

--J

I understand your frustration with this problem. Reflection in mirrors can be a tricky concept to grasp. In order to solve this problem, we need to use the formula: θ = 2arctan(h/d), where θ is the angle of reflection, h is the height of the mirror, and d is the distance between the mirrors. In this case, we know that h = 1.60m and d = 1.40m. We also know that the incident angle is 5 degrees, so we can plug these values into the formula to find the angle of reflection. Once we have the angle of reflection, we can use the law of reflection (θi = θr) to find the number of reflections. I hope this helps! Don't give up, you got this!

What is reflection in mirrors?

Reflection in mirrors refers to the phenomenon of light bouncing off a surface and creating an image of an object. In the case of mirrors, the surface is typically made of glass with a reflective coating on one side.

Why do we see a reversed image in mirrors?

The reversed image in mirrors is due to the fact that light follows the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (angle at which light hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (angle at which light bounces off the mirror). This results in the image appearing flipped horizontally.

What factors affect the clarity of the reflection in mirrors?

The clarity of the reflection in mirrors can be affected by the smoothness of the mirror's surface, the angle at which the light hits the mirror, and the quality of the reflective coating. Any imperfections or dirt on the surface can also impact the clarity of the reflection.

What is the difference between regular mirrors and concave/convex mirrors?

Regular mirrors have a flat, smooth surface that reflects light at the same angle it hits the mirror. Concave mirrors, on the other hand, have a curved surface that causes light to converge, creating a magnified or distorted image. Convex mirrors have a curved surface that causes light to diverge, resulting in a smaller, wider image.

How are mirrors used in everyday life?

Mirrors have a variety of uses in everyday life, such as for personal grooming, decoration, and in technology (e.g. mirrors in telescopes and cameras). They are also used for practical purposes, such as in car side mirrors and rearview mirrors for safe driving, and in mirrors used for security and surveillance purposes.