1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of a plane mirror at a focal point

Tags:
  1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    I am trying to interface a detector system to a FT-IR spectrometer. The spectrometer uses off-axis parabolic mirrors to focus light in the center of a sample compartment, where it diverges and again strikes an off axis parabolic mirror, focusing it on a detector. I would like to place a plane mirror at a 45° angle, at the focal point of the first mirror. My question is, what kind of beam divergence can I expect with this setup? The detector element itself will be housed in a dewar behind some windows and filters, approximately 6-8" from the mirror in the sample compartment. There is a compound parabolic concentrator, located about 3inches in front of the detector, with a .500" entrance aperture. Can I expect reasonable signal from this setup? This will be used in the IR, from about 20-700cm-1. Will atmospheric interference be significant? I have attached a quick sketch of the outline of the system.

Thanks!

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57447&stc=1&d=1365048951

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted