• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Reflection of light

• Thread starter ThetaPi
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Three objects P, Q, and R, are viewed through a plane mirror AB. When an obstacle is moved towards the mirror, which object "disappears" (i) first; (ii) last?

Diagram. I will describe it in words. The mirror is horizontally placed. Q is placed 10 cm directly above edge A of the mirror. R is placed 20 cm directly above edge A. P is 10 cm (horizontally) to the left of A.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking of the positions of the points of incidence of the incident rays coming from the objects. However, when I draw ray diagrams, it doesn't seem so. Maybe the angle of incidence also matters - the smaller, the faster the object "disappears"? I am completely stumped.

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Diagram. I will describe it in words. The mirror is horizontally placed. Q is placed 10 cm directly above edge A of the mirror. R is placed 20 cm directly above edge A. P is 10 cm (horizontally) to the left of A.
Your description is not complete. You didn't define A and B or left and right. (A diagram would really help here.)

Here's a trick for dealing with plane mirrors. Each real object has an image exactly on the other side of the mirror. Then you can think of the mirror as a window for viewing those images. If your view of that window is blocked, so is the image.