1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of light

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three objects P, Q, and R, are viewed through a plane mirror AB. When an obstacle is moved towards the mirror, which object "disappears" (i) first; (ii) last?

Diagram. I will describe it in words. The mirror is horizontally placed. Q is placed 10 cm directly above edge A of the mirror. R is placed 20 cm directly above edge A. P is 10 cm (horizontally) to the left of A.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking of the positions of the points of incidence of the incident rays coming from the objects. However, when I draw ray diagrams, it doesn't seem so. Maybe the angle of incidence also matters - the smaller, the faster the object "disappears"? I am completely stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your description is not complete. You didn't define A and B or left and right. (A diagram would really help here.)

Here's a trick for dealing with plane mirrors. Each real object has an image exactly on the other side of the mirror. Then you can think of the mirror as a window for viewing those images. If your view of that window is blocked, so is the image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook