How Do Rayleigh Waves Reflect When Transitioning from Solid to Liquid Surfaces?

In summary, you can find information on reflection of surface waves in solid media by looking for texts focused on solid media.
Ribena
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on what I have to ask. Basically, I'm interested in the reflection of Rayleigh Waves/ Surface Waves as it travels and passes from a free surface to a surface in contact with a liquid.

In particular, is there any written text or papers/ journals on this that gives the governing equations or theoretical modelling of the reflections? I've not been able to find any yet. Anything remotely related would help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just to add, the wave first travels along an isotropic, elastic half space and then passes through a region of the half space bounded by liquid. Sort of like a surface wave moving on the surface of a table and then passes through a puddle of water.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hi
I think you may find info about these waves under the name of 'Gravity Waves'.
The nice thing about Waves, in general, is that they all behave in much the same way. If you can find the wave speed on either side of a boundary then Snell's Law, diffraction equations etc. will apply - at least in a basic treatment.

Ribena said:
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on what I have to ask. Basically, I'm interested in the reflection of Rayleigh Waves/ Surface Waves as it travels and passes from a free surface to a surface in contact with a liquid.

In particular, is there any written text or papers/ journals on this that gives the governing equations or theoretical modelling of the reflections? I've not been able to find any yet. Anything remotely related would help.
If I am not mistaken, you are talking about surface waves in solids.
The first part is a so called "unloaded" surface and the second is loaded with liquid.
Both cases are treated in some acoustic and ultrasound textbooks. Look for texts focused on solid media. For example: "Ultrasonic waves in solid media" by Rose has these situations discussed.

1. What is a Rayleigh wave?

A Rayleigh wave is a type of surface wave that travels along the interface between two different materials, such as the ground and the air. It is named after the British scientist Lord Rayleigh who first described this type of wave in the late 19th century.

2. How is a Rayleigh wave created?

A Rayleigh wave is created when an earthquake or other seismic event occurs and causes vibrations in the Earth's surface. These vibrations travel along the surface and can be detected by seismographs.

3. What are the properties of a Rayleigh wave?

Rayleigh waves have a circular motion that decreases in amplitude with depth. They also have a slower velocity compared to other types of seismic waves, and their amplitude is strongest at the surface. They can cause significant damage to buildings and structures due to their large amplitudes.

4. How do scientists study Rayleigh waves?

Scientists use seismographs to detect and measure Rayleigh waves. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to study the behavior and properties of these waves. Additionally, field studies and experiments are conducted to gather more data on Rayleigh waves.

5. What are the practical applications of studying Rayleigh waves?

Studying Rayleigh waves can help scientists better understand the structure and composition of the Earth's interior. It can also aid in earthquake prediction and hazard assessment, as well as in designing earthquake-resistant structures. Additionally, Rayleigh waves can be used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to diagnose and treat certain medical conditions.