Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of Rayleigh Wave

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on what I have to ask. Basically, I'm interested in the reflection of Rayleigh Waves/ Surface Waves as it travels and passes from a free surface to a surface in contact with a liquid.

In particular, is there any written text or papers/ journals on this that gives the governing equations or theoretical modelling of the reflections? I've not been able to find any yet. Anything remotely related would help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just to add, the wave first travels along an isotropic, elastic half space and then passes through a region of the half space bounded by liquid. Sort of like a surface wave moving on the surface of a table and then passes through a puddle of water.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi
    I think you may find info about these waves under the name of 'Gravity Waves'.
    The nice thing about Waves, in general, is that they all behave in much the same way. If you can find the wave speed on either side of a boundary then Snell's Law, diffraction equations etc. will apply - at least in a basic treatment.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    If I am not mistaken, you are talking about surface waves in solids.
    The first part is a so called "unloaded" surface and the second is loaded with liquid.
    Both cases are treated in some acoustic and ultrasound textbooks. Look for texts focused on solid media. For example: "Ultrasonic waves in solid media" by Rose has these situations discussed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook