Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection off of an HDTV

1. Jun 17, 2007 #1
    I noticed that when my lamp reflects off of my HDTV, it appears red. It seems that the more light that is reflected into it, the redder it gets. I'm figuring that the green and blue line of the phosphor dots (I think thats the name for the tiny red, green, and blue lines on a screen) are not emitting much of the light back, but it is being emmited back by the red lines. Why would that happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What type of HDTV is it? LCD, plasma, CRT, front projection, rear projection?

4. Jun 18, 2007 #3
    Maybe the light is being refracted. Are you shining the light at an angle? Try putting your head as close as possible to the lamp and see if the reflection is still red.

5. Jun 18, 2007 #4
    It is a plasma, and yes, it is when I'm looking at an angle, but it still appears red if I put my head very close to the screen.

6. Jun 18, 2007 #5
    Who makes your TV, they may have a film on the outside of the glass to try and prevent reflections and glare. My plasma will refract the reflections, but not to an extreme and not only certian colors.

CraigD, AMInstP
    www.cymek.com

7. Jun 18, 2007 #6
    I'm didn't mean close to the screen, I meant put the lamp right next to your head, and then look at its reflection off the TV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?