Why does my HDTV appear red when reflecting light?

• Thread starter spizma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a red reflection from a lamp on an HDTV. The speaker suggests that this could be due to the green and blue lines of the phosphor dots not emitting much light back, while the red lines do. The type of HDTV is mentioned as a plasma, and it is suggested to try looking at the reflection from an angle or putting the lamp close to the head. The possibility of a film on the glass to prevent reflections and glare is also mentioned.
spizma
I noticed that when my lamp reflects off of my HDTV, it appears red. It seems that the more light that is reflected into it, the redder it gets. I'm figuring that the green and blue line of the phosphor dots (I think that's the name for the tiny red, green, and blue lines on a screen) are not emitting much of the light back, but it is being emmited back by the red lines. Why would that happen?

Science news on Phys.org
What type of HDTV is it? LCD, plasma, CRT, front projection, rear projection?

Maybe the light is being refracted. Are you shining the light at an angle? Try putting your head as close as possible to the lamp and see if the reflection is still red.

It is a plasma, and yes, it is when I'm looking at an angle, but it still appears red if I put my head very close to the screen.

Who makes your TV, they may have a film on the outside of the glass to try and prevent reflections and glare. My plasma will refract the reflections, but not to an extreme and not only certian colors.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

I'm didn't mean close to the screen, I meant put the lamp right next to your head, and then look at its reflection off the TV.

What causes reflection off of an HDTV?

Reflection off of an HDTV is caused by light bouncing off of the screen and reflecting back to the viewer's eyes. This can be caused by various factors such as the angle of the TV, the type of screen, and the surrounding lighting.

How does reflection affect the viewing experience on an HDTV?

Reflection can significantly impact the viewing experience on an HDTV. It can create distracting glares and reduce the overall image quality, making it difficult to see the content on the screen clearly.

What can be done to reduce reflection off of an HDTV?

To reduce reflection off of an HDTV, you can adjust the position and angle of the TV to minimize the amount of light reflecting off of the screen. You can also consider using anti-glare screen protectors or installing curtains or blinds to block out external light sources.

Is reflection off of an HDTV harmful to the screen?

In most cases, reflection off of an HDTV is not harmful to the screen. However, if the screen is exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods, it can cause damage and potentially affect the functionality of the TV.

Can reflection off of an HDTV be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate reflection off of an HDTV, it can be significantly reduced by taking measures to control the lighting and positioning of the TV. Using an anti-glare filter or investing in a TV with a matte screen can also help reduce the amount of reflection.