1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection question

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    Need some help on a practice physics problem.

You need to place a mirror on the left wall, so that the reflected light from the bulb exactly fills the right wall.

ceiling
    | 0 |
    | |
    | |
    b. how far below the ceiling should the edge of the mirror be?
    c. a 10cm tall screen to the right of the bulb from illuminating the right wall directly, what is the height of the screen's shadow on the right wall?

how I've approached the problem thus far: I started by stating that the angle that the top right corner makes with the mirror's top should be theta reflective and the other angle to the source from the mirror would be theta incidence due to the law of reflection. I'm lost as to where to go from here.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2004 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And you know that theta reflective equals to theta incidence.
    You can find the edges of the mirror easily by connecting the top (bottom) of the wall and the mirror image of the source by straight lines. See the figure attached.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?