1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflections of functions

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Graph f(x) sketch the specified reflection image. State domain/range

a) the reflection of f(x) = [sqrt]x+2 on the y axis (horizontal shift of 2 to the left)

2. Relevant equations

y=[sqrt]x
    3. The attempt at a solution

I graphed it properly , made a table of values and changed the x values into negetive values since its a reflection on the y axis.

The graph starts at -2 on the x axis and goes out to the left. -2,0 being the vertex

It also says state the domain and range. The graph starts at -3 and goes out to the left ( values becoming more and more negetive) I wrote down x < -2 for the domain, but somehow thats wrong. The book says x> -2 .

http://i51.tinypic.com/xaovom.jpg

Graph provided, i have messy writing , i know but look at the graph and instruct meo n what to do. I dont get how its Greater than -2, thats not possible..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

In your attachment you write that the reflection of y = sqrt(x + 2) is y = sqrt(-x + 2). But you graphed y = sqrt(-x - 2).

Also, is the book asking for the domain/range for the original function, y = sqrt(x + 2), or its reflection? Because, when you said that according to the book the domain is x > -2, that's the domain of the original function, not the reflection. So either you misread the problem or the book is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook