Vijay's Reflex Time When Arvind Drops a Scale

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale Time
In summary, Arvind drops a scale vertically, which is grabbed by Vijay whose hand is just below the scale. In the meantime, the scale slips by 20cm. Vijay's reflex time is being asked for, and the equation that can be used is d=v_it+\frac{1}{2}at^2, where vi=0, a=9.81, and d=20cm.
ritwik06
arvind drops a scale vertically which is grabbed by Vijay whose hand is just below the scale. In the mean time the scale slips by 20cm. What is the reflex time of Vijay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any equations that may help you here? (hint: constant acceleration).

Is there a reason why this is in the tutorial forum? In future please post in the homework forum.

cristo said:
Do you know any equations that may help you here? (hint: constant acceleration).

Is there a reason why this is in the tutorial forum? In future please post in the homework forum.

yes, the acceleration will be 9.8 m/sec^2. But how will this help?

oh! I am sorry once again. I haven't understood till now, as to which question should I post in which section. I am sorry again.

ritwik06 said:
yes, the acceleration will be 9.8 m/sec^2. But how will this help?

Correct. Do you know any equations that will help you here? You are told the displacement, and you know that the initial velocity is zero.

oh! I am sorry once again. I haven't understood till now, as to which question should I post in which section. I am sorry again.

That's ok. I'm sure it'll be moved for you soon anyway! In future though, use the homework forum. It's the second forum in the list on the front page (just under the tutorial forum)

cristo said:
Correct. Do you know any equations that will help you here? You are told the displacement, and you know that the initial velocity is zero.

That's ok. I'm sure it'll be moved for you soon anyway! In future though, use the homework forum. It's the second forum in the list on the front page (just under the tutorial forum)

Nope which equation are you talking about?

Ok! I will use the homework section. Thanks!

sorry once again.

Have you come across the kinematic equations, for constant acceleration? Here's a link to them (scroll about half way down the page): http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html . Which one do you think is most useful in this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Have you come across the kinematic equations, for constant acceleration? Here's a link to them (scroll about half way down the page): http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html . Which one do you think is most useful in this case?

will the 3rd one help? I have not studdied kinematics yet :S

Last edited by a moderator:
ritwik06 said:
will the 3rd one help? I have not studdied kinematics yet :S

Ok, well you should use the first equation:[tex]d=v_it+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]. Here, note that vi=0, so this simplifies the equation somewhat. a is the acceleration due the gravity (9.81), d is the distance measured on the ruler, and t is the reaction time that you require.

Last edited:

1. What is Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale?

Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale refers to the amount of time it takes for Vijay to respond and catch the scale after it is dropped by Arvind.

2. Why is it important to measure Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale?

Measuring Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale can provide information about his reaction time and hand-eye coordination, which can be important in various activities and sports.

3. How is Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale measured?

Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale can be measured by having Arvind drop a scale from a specific height and using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for Vijay to catch it.

4. What factors can affect Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale?

Vijay's reflex time when Arvind drops a scale can be affected by various factors such as fatigue, distractions, and previous experience with catching objects.

5. How can Vijay improve his reflex time when Arvind drops a scale?

Vijay can improve his reflex time when Arvind drops a scale by practicing catching objects of different sizes and weights, improving his hand-eye coordination through exercises and activities, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle to reduce fatigue.