Refracting vs Reflecting Telescopes: Which is Easier to Build?

In summary, the speaker is looking for help in building a telescope for a physics project and is unsure of where to begin. They are considering building a refracting telescope but are aware that it may be more difficult due to its size. They are asking for recommendations or resources for making telescopes and someone suggests looking into astronomy magazines for guides. The benefits of building a reflecting telescope over a refracting one are also mentioned, such as easier grinding and polishing of a single surface and more flexibility in materials for the mirror.
holliee
(ah, sorry I was not 100% sure were i should post this in the homework help or here, =/)

I am building a telescope for a physics project and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help. I'm not sure were to begin but i do know (or think that I know) that I should build a refracting telescope versus a reflecting telescope, which would be much larger and more difficult.

If anyone thinks they could help or if you know any good websites for making telescopes it would be much appreciated!

Thanks=)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You should look into some Astronomy magazines, most of the major publications have at one point run through a "make your own telescope" guide. I'll try and find some issue numbers of ones I have.

Reflecting (mirror) telescopes are easier to build.
You only have one surface to grind/polish.
Concave surfaces are easier to test.
Much easier to mount the mirror than a set of lenses.
You can make the mirror out of pretty much anything stiff enough to be polished, lenses have to be made from specific glasses.

1. What is a refracting telescope?

A refracting telescope is a type of optical telescope that uses lenses to gather and focus light, leading to magnified images of distant objects. It is also known as a dioptric telescope or a refractor.

2. How does a refracting telescope work?

A refracting telescope works by using a combination of lenses to bend or refract light, allowing it to pass through and form an image. The objective lens at the front of the telescope gathers and focuses the light, while the eyepiece lens magnifies the image for viewing.

3. What are the advantages of a refracting telescope?

Some advantages of a refracting telescope include its simple design, which makes it easy to use and maintain, and its ability to produce clear and sharp images without chromatic aberration (color distortion). It also has a wide field of view and can be used for both astronomical and terrestrial viewing.

4. What materials are needed for a refracting telescope project?

The materials needed for a refracting telescope project may vary, but typically include a pair of lenses (objective and eyepiece), a tube to hold the lenses in place, a tripod or mount for stability, and tools for assembly. Optional materials include a diagonal mirror, filters, and a finder scope.

5. Can I build a refracting telescope at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a simple refracting telescope at home using easily available materials and tools. However, for more advanced and high-quality telescopes, specialized equipment and knowledge may be required. It is recommended to follow a reputable guide or consult with an expert for best results.