Refraction - A light ray is incedent on a block of glass at an angle of 30 degrees

In summary, the problem involves a light ray incident on a block of glass at a 30 degree angle, and the question is asking for the angle of refraction. Using the formula n1 sin θ1 = n2 sin θ2, where n1 is the index of refraction of the first medium and n2 is the index of refraction of the second medium, and assuming the first medium is air and the angle is measured with respect to the perpendicular, the angle of refraction can be calculated.
o0sunny0o
Refraction -- A light ray is incedent on a block of glass at an angle of 30 degrees

Homework Statement

A light ray is incedent on a block of glass at an angle of 30 degrees,what is the angle of refraction.

Given: glass: 1.47
incident angle:30°

Homework Equations

π1 sin θ1 = π2 sin θ2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did: (1.47) sin (30)= π2 sin θ2
But I don't think this is the answer. I'm helping a friend but the problem don't say what the other medium is...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello o0sunny0o,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
o0sunny0o said:

Homework Statement

A light ray is incedent on a block of glass at an angle of 30 degrees,what is the angle of refraction.

Given: glass: 1.47
incident angle:30°

Homework Equations

π1 sin θ1 = π2 sin θ2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did: (1.47) sin (30)= π2 sin θ2
But I don't think this is the answer. I'm helping a friend but the problem don't say what the other medium is...
I'm guessing that the original medium is air. The second medium is glass.

I'll also assume that the 30o angle is measured with respect to the perpendicular*, and measured outside the glass (i.e. in the air). If so, treat your
n1 sinθ1 = n2 sinθ2
formula as
(Index of refraction of air)(sine of angle in air) = (index of refraction of glass)(sine of angle in glass)​

*The problem statement is is vague about what the angle is in reference to; perpendicular or parallel. I'm assuming it's in reference to the perpendicular, but that's just my assumption. I don't know for sure. A figure would certainly clear things up.

thank you for the answer^^

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. Why does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs because the speed of light changes when it passes from one medium to another. This change in speed causes the light to bend.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the light ray hits the surface, determines the amount of bending that occurs. The greater the angle of incidence, the more the light ray will bend.

4. Why does a light ray bend towards the normal when passing through a block of glass?

When a light ray passes from a less dense medium, like air, to a more dense medium, like glass, it slows down and bends towards the normal, which is an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface of the glass. This is due to the change in speed of light in different mediums.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums. This relationship helps to predict the amount of bending that will occur when light passes through different mediums.