1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction and displacement

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    Okej have a piece of glass with refractive index n2 and tickness t.

A ray of light falls on the glass with the angle theta1 (from a medium with recrative index n1).

In the glass the ray has the angle theta2 and when it exits it has now got the displacement d (compared with the ray that went from air to glass).

Now show that the formula d=tsin(theta1)(1-(n1cos(theta1) / n2cos(theta2)) is correct.

I know it is suppose to be simple trig, but the only thing i can even figure out to do is that 90-theta1 = theta ... then i'm stuck.. can't see how to connect anything. please give me some hints.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you drawn a diagram? Hint: the incident ray and the the final refracted ray should be parallel.

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    yeah they are parallel of course.. but just finding the displacement of them..

have done a diagram as well. but as I said I can't figure out what to start with. can't see the trig stuff in it =(

5. Jan 29, 2006 #4

Oki done it know.. and it made perfect sense..=)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?