Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction and Special Realitivity

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    Hello, new comer to realitivity here.

My friend and I were wondering if when light refracts if the photons temporarly convert back into partial mass.

Through my understanding of e=(mc^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) it appears as if they would, but since photons have an infinite amount of energy backing them up, then is it even possible for them to even reach a stage of having mass?

edit: sorry for my bad grammar, english has never been my strong point.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

A photon can never have mass, but it is possible for a photon to convert into other particles which do have rest mass. I don't know exactly what happens when light refracts, but see post #4 here for a good discussion of why light slows down in a medium like water, basically involving the photons being repeatedly absorbed and re-emitted.
    No, photons only have a finite amount of energy--keep in mind that the "m" in that equation is the rest mass, which would be zero for a photon, so the equation just gives the undefined answer 0/0. To find the energy of a photon you have to use the quantum equation E=hf, where f is the photon's frequency and h is planck's constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook