Light Refraction: Direction of Bend

In summary, for case a, the light rays will be bent towards the normal because ni is greater than nr and the angle of incidence is smaller than the angle of refraction. For case b, the light rays will be bent away from the normal because ni is less than nr and the angle of incidence is larger than the angle of refraction. And for cases c and d, the light rays will be bent towards the normal when going from air to glass and away from the normal when going from glass to air because of Snell's law and the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction.
mmg0789
For each of the following cases, will the light rays be bent toward or away from the normal?

a. ni > nr, where the angle of ni = 20
b. ni < nr, where the angle of ni = 20
c. from air to glass with an angle of incidence of 30
d. from glass to air with an angle of incidence of 30

for a, i put toward. b i think is away (but I'm not sure why it would be) and i am not sure about c and d

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know an equation that would help to answer these questions.

Regards,
George

You are correct for a and b. Perhaps if you drew a diagram, it would make the answer more apparent. Where are the angles measured from?

As for c and d. Consider snell's law, what happens when a light ray travels through the interface from a lower refractive index (air) to a higher (glass) and visa versa.

~H

well i think this is a conceptual problem, so no equation is needed. but the equation i have to work with is (ni)(sinXi)=(nr)(sinXr)

--index of refraction of first medium x sine of the angle of incidence = index of refraction of second medium x sine sine of the angle of refraction

o ok thanks

I find that that looking at a physics problem from different perspectives is often useful. As Hootenanny has indicated, diagrams here are very useful, but I like also to verfiy things with mathematics.

Note that the graph of sinx is increasing for x between 0 and 90, i.e., if sinx2 > sinx1, then x2 is greater than x1.

Now consider a) ni > nr. In order for ni sinXi = nr sinXr to hold, this means that sinXi < Sin Xr, which in turn, from what I wrote above, means that Xi < Xr. Now, a diagram shows what happens with respect to bending towards/ away from the normal.

Regards,
George

o thank you both

What is refraction angle?

Refraction angle is the angle between the incident ray and the refracted ray when light passes through a boundary between two different mediums, such as air and water.

How is refraction angle calculated?

The refraction angle can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the incident angle to the sine of the refracted angle is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

What factors affect the refraction angle?

The refraction angle is affected by the angle of incidence, the indices of refraction of the two mediums, and the wavelength of the light.

What is the difference between the normal and the incident ray?

The normal is an imaginary line perpendicular to the surface at the point of incidence, while the incident ray is the incoming ray of light that strikes the boundary at a certain angle.

Why is refraction angle important?

Refraction angle is important because it allows us to understand and predict how light will behave when it passes through different mediums. This is crucial in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and vision science.