Why is Refraction Explained as Phase Shift in Dielectrics?

In summary, Snell's law is a law that explains how light bends when it goes from one dielectric material into another. It is a result of the boundary between differing dielectrics and the waves travel in a straight line.
wil3
Hello. I've heard from someone that beam diffraction can be explained as the result of phase shift in a dielectric changing the pattern of maxima that we see as the "beam". I would love to see the math of this worked out- can anyone direct me to an appropriate resource? I've searched far and wide.

It'd be cool to finally understand exactly why Snell's law works. Thanks for any tips.

Science news on Phys.org
Wait, did you mean "diffraction" or "refraction""? Snell's law is the law of refraction. Refraction is the bending and slowing of light when it goes from one dielectric material into another. Diffraction is when light flows past an obstacle and bends into the shadow region.

My bad. I meant "refraction." That was a typo; the question still stands

Refraction is actually the result of matching up phase at the boundary when the velocity has shifted. A derivation is http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.658%282011%29/Lecture1.pdf" starting on page 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very concise derivation, but I apologize, since I think my original question was unclear. I'm bit more concerned with the "Why" of Snell's law-- a textbook I've been reading on spectroscopy gave a qualitative description of the bending of light as it enters the media as a result of absorption and re-emission: ie, the atoms of the dielectric absorb and re-admit photons out of phase with those in the air, which causes the new maximum pattern (which we see as a "beam") to be shifted by the angle prescribed in Snell's law.

So I guess I'm looking for a mathematical treatment of the idea from the point of view of dielectric molecules and interference patterns produced by out-of-sync emissions. I'll concede that the book was not physics-focused, so this could just be a pipe dream.

Thanks very much for your help.

Snell's law itself is a result of the boundary between differing dielectrics. It sounds like you are interested in treating propagation of EM waves through a dielectric as a many-body scattering problem. Mathematically, that is described by what is called the structure factor F of the system where F(q) = |sum exp(i q x)|2. Essentially you are adding up the phases from all the scattered bits of wave to see how they interfere. If the scatterers are very numerous and have a regular distribution, as in most solids, the structure factor disappears except in the forward direction. This means that the wave travels in a straight line through most dielectrics instead of spraying out in all directions. See Jackson p. 461 for more info.

Jackson? I'll check it out. I've been trying to reconcile it with the derivation of a "beam" given in chapter 9 of Crawford (Berkeley vol 3), so I'll see if Jackson is any help. Thanks very much- sorry for the frosh physics awkwardness with terminology.

1. What is refraction as phase shift?

Refraction as phase shift is the phenomenon where light changes direction and speed as it passes through a medium, resulting in a shift in the phase of the light wave. This is commonly observed when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index, such as air to water.

2. How does refraction as phase shift occur?

Refraction as phase shift occurs due to the change in speed of light as it passes through a medium with a different refractive index. When light enters a medium at an angle, one part of the light wave enters the medium before the other, causing a phase shift.

3. What is the relationship between angle of incidence and refraction as phase shift?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters a medium, is directly related to the amount of refraction as phase shift. The greater the angle of incidence, the more the light will be refracted and the greater the phase shift will be.

4. How does refraction as phase shift affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction as phase shift can affect the appearance of objects by causing them to appear distorted or shifted when viewed through a medium with a different refractive index. This is why objects underwater often appear larger and closer than they actually are.

5. What are some real life applications of refraction as phase shift?

Refraction as phase shift has many practical applications, including the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, the creation of optical fibers for telecommunication, and the use of prisms in scientific instruments. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in various natural phenomena, such as rainbows and mirages.