Relate Equations 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 for Refraction Angles | Physics

• Thread starter kimaru08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation is about trying to relate equations 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 from a given link. The goal is to find the deviation angle as a function of incident angle, refractive index, and apex angle. The person has tried using trig identities but has not been successful. They have also attempted to derive the equation by substituting and eliminating variables, but it hasn't led them anywhere. They are seeking help in understanding how to approach the problem. Eventually, they come up with the equation D= theta1 - apex + arcsin [n Sin(apex)Cos(theta2) -cos(apex)Sin(theta1)], but they still need to get rid of Cos(theta2
kimaru08
Trying to relate Equation 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 from here: [PLAIN]http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph13xbook/node35.html[/URL][/b] [Broken]

Basically trying to relate the deviation angle, incident angle, refractive index and apex angle.

2. The equations are in the link.
3. My attempts are less than fit to be posted, no clue where to begin. I've tried putting in trig identities, and it just not pretty.

If you guys can help in someway greatly appreciate it.Thnx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what do you want? the deviation angle as a function of incident angle, refractive index and apex angle ?

Yep, i have no clue how derive though. In my attempts I'm always left with an equation that lacks one of either, D,n, apex angle or incident.

what have you tried, can you post it? You said that you didnt know where to begin.

Its a derivation, it involves pure algerba especially in this case. The only way( i know at least) to derive equations is through substituting and eliminating certain variables.

And the attempts I've made are just trying plug stuff into 1 equations try to eliminate and so forth. It takes me nowhere though.

Maybe you can point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
how can I point you when I don't even know what you have tried?

and can you state the original problem once again.

Nvm: I think i got it.

D= theta1 - apex + arcsin [n Sin(apex)Cos(theta2) -cos(apex)Sin(theta1)]

Just need to to get rid of Cos(theta2).

1. What are the equations for refraction angles in physics?

The equations for refraction angles in physics are known as Snell's Law. They are represented by the equations 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 in physics textbooks and refer to the relationship between the angle of incidence and angle of refraction when light passes through different mediums.

2. How do these equations relate to the refraction of light?

These equations show the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction, as well as the indices of refraction for the two mediums. They are used to calculate the direction and amount of bending that occurs when light passes from one medium to another.

3. What is the significance of these equations in optics?

These equations are crucial in understanding the behavior of light when it passes through different mediums. They help explain phenomena such as the bending of light in a prism, the formation of rainbows, and the focus of lenses in optical devices.

4. How are these equations derived?

These equations are derived from the principles of geometric optics, which state that light travels in straight lines and bends when it encounters a change in medium. They can also be derived using the wave theory of light, which considers the wavelength and frequency of light as it passes through different mediums.

5. Are these equations applicable to all types of light?

Yes, these equations are applicable to all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. However, they may not accurately predict the behavior of light in extreme conditions, such as when passing through very dense or optically complex materials.