1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction Equations

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Trying to relate Equation 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 from here: http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph13xbook/node35.html

Basically trying to relate the deviation angle, incident angle, refractive index and apex angle.

2. The equations are in the link.

3. My attempts are less than fit to be posted, no clue where to begin. I've tried putting in trig identities, and it just not pretty.

If you guys can help in someway greatly appreciate it.Thnx.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what do you want? the deviation angle as a function of incident angle, refractive index and apex angle ?

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    Yep, i have no clue how derive though. In my attempts i'm always left with an equation that lacks one of either, D,n, apex angle or incident.

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what have you tried, can you post it? You said that you didnt know where to begin.

6. Jan 5, 2008 #5
    Its a derivation, it involves pure algerba especially in this case. The only way( i know at least) to derive equations is through substituting and eliminating certain variables.

And the attempts i've made are just trying plug stuff into 1 equations try to eliminate and so forth. It takes me nowhere though.

Maybe you can point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  7. Jan 5, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

how can I point you when I dont even know what you have tried?

and can you state the original problem once again.

8. Jan 5, 2008 #7
    Nvm: I think i got it.

D= theta1 - apex + arcsin [n Sin(apex)Cos(theta2) -cos(apex)Sin(theta1)]

Just need to to get rid of Cos(theta2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?