1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction-Faster then a vacuum

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    Refraction--Faster then a vacuum!!

I was given an experiment to mesaure the refraction of light thgouh this semisircle piece of glass, (shining the light in the middle of the flat part). I measured several differnt angles of incidence and their corresponding angles of refraction.

When i graphed sin(i) to sin(r) the slope came to around 0.6, which is the index of refraction (medium 2)right? So using the equation n=c/v, my v would become greater then c, which is impossible. My slope would have to be greater then 1 for this to work.

Any ideas what i did wrong, or calculated.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2
    what do these numbers mean: n=c/v.

Is it index of refraction = speed of light / ?????
  4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    n is the refractuve index of the medium, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the other medium.

nevermind about the question, i plotted sin(i) as x and sin(r) as y :yuck: they shoulda been the other way around. :biggrin:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?