Refraction-Faster then a vacuum

• Thread starter SwAnK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving the measurement of light refraction through a semicircle piece of glass. The speaker measured different angles of incidence and their corresponding angles of refraction and found that the slope of sin(i) to sin(r) was around 0.6, which represents the index of refraction of the medium. However, the speaker realizes that according to the equation n=c/v, the speed of light in the medium would be greater than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is impossible. The conversation concludes with the speaker correcting their mistake of plotting the angles incorrectly.
SwAnK
Refraction--Faster then a vacuum!

I was given an experiment to mesaure the refraction of light thgouh this semisircle piece of glass, (shining the light in the middle of the flat part). I measured several differnt angles of incidence and their corresponding angles of refraction.

When i graphed sin(i) to sin(r) the slope came to around 0.6, which is the index of refraction (medium 2)right? So using the equation n=c/v, my v would become greater then c, which is impossible. My slope would have to be greater then 1 for this to work.

Any ideas what i did wrong, or calculated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what do these numbers mean: n=c/v.

Is it index of refraction = speed of light / ?

n is the refractuve index of the medium, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the other medium.

nevermind about the question, i plotted sin(i) as x and sin(r) as y :yuck: they should have been the other way around. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. How is refraction related to speed?

Refraction is related to speed because when light travels through a medium with a higher refractive index, it slows down and bends more, making it appear to travel faster.

3. Can light travel faster than a vacuum through refraction?

No, light can never travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Refraction only makes it seem like light is traveling faster by bending it.

4. What determines the speed of light in a medium?

The speed of light in a medium is determined by its refractive index, which is a measure of how much the medium slows down light compared to a vacuum.

5. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can make objects appear to be in a different location or shape due to the way light bends as it passes through different mediums.