Refraction in a Glass Cylinder with just 1 Number

In summary: N(sin(THETA)) h=R/9 (1/sin(theta)) (1-sin(theta)) theta=0, 30, 60, 90In summary, the light will be refracted at an angle α depending on the materials index h.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

The figure shows a light ray incident on a glass cylinder where h = R/9. At what angle α will the ray be refracted?

(Image Attached)

Homework Equations

n(sin(theta))= N(sin(THETA))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to attack this problem. I've thought of using Snell's law:

1 sin (90) = 1.52 sin (THETA)

But I stopped myself mid-equation because then the R/9 is useless. I have decided to make R= 1 and then h= 1/9 (just to make things simple. I drew the picture and then extended out the refracted arrow, trying to figure out a way to use geometry, but I just can't place it.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Attachments

• Physics1.jpg
    Physics1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment is pending approval so I can't see your picture yet. But you will need Snell's law since the refraction will depend on the materials index. Are there any other parameters? Can you describe were on the cylinder the light is striking? End or round side? Aimed through the axis or offset by some distance?

Remember Snell's law applies to angles relative to the normal of the surface. You have a 90deg in your formula which indicates the light is tangent to the surface. If the light strikes perpendicular to the surface you will have no refraction and angle = 0. If tangent to the surface it doesn't even cross the surface.

Hint: what angle does the normal make, with respect to horizontal?

Redbelly98 said:
Hint: what angle does the normal make, with respect to horizontal?

Then normal is perpendicular to the surface. In the case of the cylinder it will be in the direction of a line through the axis of the cylinder and the point where the light hits the surface. You'll find that the radius and the height h above the center form sides of a right triangle. You can use trig to express the angle.

1. What is refraction in a glass cylinder?

Refraction in a glass cylinder refers to the bending of light as it passes through a cylindrical object, such as a glass tube or cylinder. This bending occurs due to the change in speed of light as it enters and exits the cylinder, and is dependent on the refractive index of the material.

2. How is refraction in a glass cylinder measured?

Refraction in a glass cylinder can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle of refraction as light passes through the cylinder. The refractive index of the material can then be calculated using this angle and the known refractive index of air.

3. What is the relationship between the refractive index and the angle of refraction in a glass cylinder?

The relationship between the refractive index and the angle of refraction in a glass cylinder is described by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two materials.

4. Can the refractive index of a glass cylinder be changed?

Yes, the refractive index of a glass cylinder can be changed by altering the composition of the material or by changing the temperature. Higher temperatures generally result in a lower refractive index, while adding certain substances can increase the refractive index.

5. How does the refractive index affect the behavior of light in a glass cylinder?

The refractive index affects the behavior of light in a glass cylinder by determining the degree of bending or refraction that occurs. A higher refractive index means that light will bend more when passing through the cylinder, while a lower refractive index will result in less bending.