Index of Refraction: Calculate ni for 10 cm Attenuation

In summary, when an EM wave with a wavelength of 1 mm propagates through a certain material and is attenuated to 10% of its original intensity after traveling 10 cm, the imaginary part of the refractive index can be determined by using the complex refractive index, which has both real and imaginary parts. This can be seen by replacing the complex refractive index into the wave formula, which results in an exponentially decreasing amplitude. The change in intensity with distance can then be used to find the imaginary part of the refractive index.
June_cosmo

Homework Statement

Within a certain material, an EM wave with = 1 mm is attenuated to
10% of its original intensity after propagating 10 cm. Determine the imaginary part of the index
of refraction ni

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
so [tex]n_i=\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon\mu}{\epsilon_0\mu_0}}[/tex]
but I still don't get the imagery part...

Physics news on Phys.org
June_cosmo said:

Homework Statement

Within a certain material, an EM wave with = 1 mm is attenuated to
10% of its original intensity after propagating 10 cm. Determine the imaginary part of the index
of refraction ni

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
so [tex]n_i=\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon\mu}{\epsilon_0\mu_0}}[/tex]
but I still don't get the imagery part...
What have you learned about EM wave propagation in absorbing media?
IN complex notation, the electric field moving in the + x direction and having angular frequency ω is described with the function ##E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}Nx-ωt)}##, where λ0 is the vacuum wavelength and N is the refractive index.
The complex refractive index has both real and imaginary parts, N=n+iκ. Replacing it into the wave formula, you get
[tex]E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}(n+iκ)x-ωt)}=E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx+i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}=\left (E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx} \right) e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}[/tex],
which is a wave with exponentially decreasing amplitude.
The intensity is proportional to the square of the magnitude of the electric field I ∝|E|2. From here, you get the change of intensity with the distance and the imaginary part of the refractive index.

ehild said:
What have you learned about EM wave propagation in absorbing media?
IN complex notation, the electric field moving in the + x direction and having angular frequency ω is described with the function ##E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}Nx-ωt)}##, where λ0 is the vacuum wavelength and N is the refractive index.
The complex refractive index has both real and imaginary parts, N=n+iκ. Replacing it into the wave formula, you get
[tex]E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}(n+iκ)x-ωt)}=E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx+i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}=\left (E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx} \right) e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}[/tex],
which is a wave with exponentially decreasing amplitude.
The intensity is proportional to the square of the magnitude of the electric field I ∝|E|2. From here, you get the change of intensity with the distance and the imaginary part of the refractive index.
Thanks! That is helpful!

1. What is the index of refraction and why is it important?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is important because it helps determine how light will behave when passing through different materials, which is crucial for understanding optics and designing optical devices.

2. How is the index of refraction calculated?

The index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This ratio is denoted by the symbol "n" and is typically measured at a specific wavelength of light.

3. What is the formula for calculating ni for 10 cm attenuation?

The formula for calculating ni for 10 cm attenuation is n = c/v, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum and v is the speed of light in the material. This formula assumes that the attenuation coefficient is constant over the 10 cm distance.

4. How does the index of refraction change with different materials?

The index of refraction varies for different materials due to their different physical properties. Materials with a higher density and stronger atomic bonds tend to have a higher index of refraction, while materials with a lower density and weaker atomic bonds have a lower index of refraction.

5. Can the index of refraction be negative?

Yes, the index of refraction can be negative in certain materials. This is known as negative refraction and is a rare phenomenon that occurs when light is passing through a medium with a negative index of refraction. This is often seen in artificial materials known as metamaterials, and it has potential applications in advanced optical technologies.