1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction index

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Within a certain material, an EM wave with = 1 mm is attenuated to
    10% of its original intensity after propagating 10 cm. Determine the imaginary part of the index
    of refraction ni

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

so [tex]n_i=\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon\mu}{\epsilon_0\mu_0}}[/tex]
    but I still don't get the imagery part...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you learnt about EM wave propagation in absorbing media?
    IN complex notation, the electric field moving in the + x direction and having angular frequency ω is described with the function ##E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}Nx-ωt)}##, where λ0 is the vacuum wavelength and N is the refractive index.
    The complex refractive index has both real and imaginary parts, N=n+iκ. Replacing it into the wave formula, you get
    [tex]E = E_0 e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}(n+iκ)x-ωt)}=E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx+i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}=\left (E_0 e^{-\frac{2π}{λ_0}κx} \right) e^{i(\frac{2π}{λ_0}nx-ωt)}[/tex],
    which is a wave with exponentially decreasing amplitude.
    The intensity is proportional to the square of the magnitude of the electric field I ∝|E|2. From here, you get the change of intensity with the distance and the imaginary part of the refractive index.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    Thanks! That is helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted