1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Refraction] Light and prisms

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of light falls perpendicularly on the surface of a triangular prism.
    Draw the beams path through the prism. Show any necessary calculations.
    n = 1.5

2. Relevant equations

n1sin(a) = n2sin(b)

maybe, not sure tbh.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I did to find the angles:

1.5 = sin 90°/sin(b)

1.5 sin(b) = sin 90°

sin (b) = sin 90° /1.5

sin (b) = sin-1 0.66

b = 41.8°

I have no idea whether I'm right or not, I asked my teacher how to do it but she did it in a hurry so I didnt understand what she was talking about.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the light falls perpendicular to the surface of an equilateral prism, it goes undeviating through the surface.The angle of incident on the other face is equal to the angle of prism.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction both are measured with respect to the normal of the interface. If the ray falls perpendicularly to the surface, the angle of incidence is zero. According to Snell's law (your first equation) the angle of refraction is the same zero. The direction of the ray stays unchanged when it enters the prism. Find the angle it strikes the other side of the prism.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook