Refraction of diamond problem

In summary: However, in the future, if someone cannot solve a homework problem, they should ask for help from a teacher or another student.
asd1249jf
Refraction problem!

Homework Statement

A beam of white light is incident on the surface of a diamond at an angle Theta_a. Since the index of refraction depends on the light's wavelength, the different colors that comprise white light will spread out as they pass through the diamond. For example, the indices of refraction in diamond are nred = 2.410 for red light and nblue = 2.450 for blue light. Thus, blue light and red light are refracted at different angles inside the diamond, as shown in the picture. The surrounding air has nair = 1.
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8778/problemyh8.jpg

A diamond is cut such that the angle between its top surface and its bottom surface is alpha. For alpha = 45 degrees, find the largest possible value of the incident angle theta_a such that the blue light is totally internally reflected off the bottom surface.

Homework Equations

Snells law
n1sin(theta_1) = n1sin(theta_2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry, I couldn't even touch the problem. Can anyone give me like the slightest hints to this? I'm thinking it's related to finding the critical angle then applying it somehow, which turned out to be 24.09 degrees, but I'm completely stuck here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bumppppppppppppppppppp

Bumpppppppppppppppppppppppp

bumppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

I can't stick around long but you can solve it by working backwards. You can use Snell's law to find the minimum incedence angle to reflect off the second bottom surface (left). You then use that to find the reflected angle off the first bottom surface (right) which is equal to the incedence angle at the first bottom surface (right). With that you can use goemetry to solve for the refracted angle through the top surface. You then use Snell's law to find the original incedence angle. Be advised, I have not done any physics in a very long time so someone else may be better able to help you.

It's not that bad. You should already know the critical angle,
sin(theta(crit)) = n(diamond)/n(air)
so sin^-1(theta) = sin^-1(n(diamond)/n(air))
so sin^-1(2.45/1) = 24.09°

Now for the second problem,
you know the critical angle, but b/c there is the 24° angle, you need to get the angle that it has in the diamond when it strikes the diamond, so you do
45° - 24.09 ° = 20.9°

Once you know that, you apply snells law.
n(air)sin(theta(a)) = n(diamond)sin(theta(diamond)
or
1sin(theta(air) = 2.45sin(theta(diamond)
so to find the angle of the air,
sin-1(2.45sin(theta(diamond))) = answer
sin-1(2.45*sin(20.9)) = 60.97°

Merry Christmas.

Welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

Please note for the future, it is against our policy to provide complete solutions and answers to homework problems.

Since the question was asked 2 years ago, it is not a big deal this time.

What is refraction of diamond?

The refraction of diamond is a phenomenon in which light passing through a diamond is bent or redirected. This is due to the diamond's high refractive index, which causes light to slow down and change direction as it enters and exits the diamond.

What causes the refraction of diamond?

The refraction of diamond is caused by its high refractive index, which is a measure of how much light slows down when passing through a material. The diamond's structure and composition also play a role in its high refractive index.

Why does diamond have a higher refractive index than other materials?

Diamond has a higher refractive index than other materials because of its unique crystal structure. The tightly packed atoms in a diamond cause light to slow down and bend more than in other materials with looser atomic arrangements.

How does the refraction of diamond affect its appearance?

The refraction of diamond is responsible for its characteristic sparkle and brilliance. As light enters and exits the diamond, it is bent and reflected, creating the dazzling visual effect that diamonds are known for.

Can the refraction of diamond be manipulated?

Yes, the refraction of diamond can be manipulated through cutting and polishing techniques, which can enhance its brilliance and fire. Additionally, certain treatments and coatings can also alter the refraction of diamond for specific purposes, such as improving color or clarity.